British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 473

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 9 2011, 11:11 PM BST

Sorry to keep asking for cultural reference points, but, is 'slag' a word
in America. That amuses me.

No, it's not used here.

Quote: DaButt @ August 9 2011, 9:11 PM BST

£5,000 fine for being caught wearing a hoodie. It'll either help to pay for the damage or it'll improve the UK's fashion sense -- either way you win.

And some sort of on-the-spot fine for using the word 'in-it', unless you can show you have a proper South London or Cockney accent.

Quote: lofthouse @ August 9 2011, 6:44 PM BST

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/Annabel_Giles/~8KknJ

f**king retards

There needs to be stiffer penalties for Estuary English.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 9 2011, 2:40 PM BST

Well that's bollocks. History is full of peasant revolts. France used to have them on an annual basis.

What we're looking at here is people who can't afford the finer things in life stealing them, so poverty certainly is a factor.

What do you mean by the finer things in life? The poverty, where there is poverty, is a relative poverty rather than an absolute destitution. It is based around a desire for others have, largely because they have it and the consumerist culture says you need to own these products. But there will always be gradations in society, you cannot get rid of that, so you won't get rid of relative differences in wealth. The Soviet Union had one of the largest gulfs between elites and the regular people.

Where I might sympathise is if the debate was moved from one of poverty to opportunity; opportunity here referring not to money or the latest consumer goods(the latter the rioters seem to have, at least more than I do - though of course I avoid a lot of it by choice.) but good, dignifying work, proper community, standards(dare I say moral direction.) and anchorings, the ability to own a home and land; that sort of thing. But you don't remedy this by smashing up the only community you have left and stealing consumerist trash, which is one of the most significant symbols of the system that deprives (partly because so many consumers allow it.) these, and so many more, people of opportunity.

I saw some so called expert going on about how the moral crisis in the establishment over recent years had caused many of the rioters to take basically righteous, moral vengeance, he was even implying justice, against said establishment. It didn't seem to occur to him that the correct response to injustice and immorality is justice and morality and not more of the same.

:| Young people without money want it ALL NOW, immediate gratification or kill.

I came from 'deffered gratification' camp, work hard and save, you will achieve.

.something has been lost between parent and child.

All communication between age groups lost, kids on i-pods twitter, facebook, pass unhappy messages all day. Been going on ages the 'disaffected youth'

Unfortunately this is the terrible reaction- they don't care.

We should set concealed mantraps outside Footlocker and mobile phone shops at night.

I'd have no problem if we left them there during the day too.

How can these poor dispossessed teenagers afford to run Blackberries?

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 9 2011, 11:11 PM BST

Sorry to keep asking for cultural reference points, but, is 'slag' a word
in America.

I do not know about the States but the word is causing me all sorts of problems at work at the moment. Our office profanity filter will not let me send or receive e-mails or attachments containing the word. Which is awkward because at the moment I am conducting a project on the subject of blast furnace slag...

Quote: Timbo @ August 10 2011, 8:31 AM BST

I do not know about the States but the word is causing me all sorts of problems at work at the moment. Our office profanity filter will not let me send or receive e-mails or attachments containing the word. Which is awkward because at the moment I am conducting a project on the subject of blast furnace slag...

Quite. The Wacky Races had the Slag Brothers. I myself have a slag hammer that I use when arc welding to chip off the slag before applying a second weld or paint.

It can also be used informally to refer to a sexually promiscuous woman.

Sssh we don't want zooo to ban 's**g'.

EDIT:
Too late.

zooo's such a d********y

Got a bit lost in all the rioting gubbins, but Jedward are fronting a new anti-bullying campaign.

Are you sure this isn't a pro-bullying poster? It's doing it for me.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 10 2011, 11:16 AM BST

Are you sure this isn't a pro-bullying poster? It's doing it for me.

:D

Have you learnt nothing from the riots, Putters? Violence is wrong!

But if it will stop them making any more records, then I can see Putters logic.