British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 448

Apparently things are kicking off in Brum tonight too.

Quote: AJGO @ August 8 2011, 8:04 PM BST

It's just scary how quickly it spreads- saw lots of groups of young people who weren't participating in any violence but getting angry with treatment by police. Anything can make someone snap in this climate and then it all kicks off again, and there aren't enough police/isn't enough time for it to be tracked and dealt with. Only takes one person on my street or any street to decide to kick off, or get upset about something, and they can message a mob to be there in minutes.
Love how BBC keep getting reporters and 'witnesses' to say it's calmer- not where anyone I know lives!

Is the worst over does it seem? I don't have a TV where I am. The vids that are popping up everywhere, it looks like anarchy. I've read accounts of people having their homes/contents burned to the ground... People have lost businesses... It looks tragic.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 8 2011, 8:16 PM BST

We had riots in Bristol a while back, but we didn't go on about it like Londoners...

:P

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 8 2011, 8:20 PM BST

What The F**k!?!

Quote: DaButt @ August 8 2011, 8:20 PM BST

Hopefully the police are equipped/prepared well enough for this sort of thing that they already know exactly what is happening and where. They've had 2 days to get their act together.

Thanks DaButt, forgot for a moment this was a comedy website

Those rioters are idiots for smashing up their own neighbourhoods. They should get themselves down High St Kensington or the King's Road.

I bet the police will contain a riot in a posh area much quicker than they respond in Hackney or Lewisham.

Quote: sootyj @ August 8 2011, 8:19 PM BST

and slavery

Nah, we're always going on about that.

In truth, I believe, I don't think we *had* slavery in Bristol, it was just the the port was used to ferry goods traded for slaves elsewhere, as did many ports.

Don't like it when they bring the police horses in. They'll just get stuff thrown at them. :(

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 8 2011, 8:20 PM BST

[insert joke about causing millions of pounds-worth of improvements here]

Quote: AJGO @ August 8 2011, 8:21 PM BST

:P

I managed to get a new pair of wellies and a pasty during the looting.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 8 2011, 8:22 PM BST

Those rioters are idiots for smashing up their own neighbourhoods. They should get themselves down High St Kensington or the King's Road.

I bet the police will contain a riot in a posh area much quicker than they respond in Hackney or Lewisham.

The Truth.

Is it just me who thinks of rioting as being a Northern thing?

We recycle in London, this shouldn't be happening here.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 8 2011, 8:21 PM BST

Is the worst over does it seem?

Doesn't feel that way, still lots of fire smoke, still lots of helicopters. Mutterings all around which never help anyone to feel safe.
Friends around various bits of the area, all reporting same shit still going on

I hope it doesn't spread to rural Wigan where I am...
Although there's a drum set in Cash Converters' window I've had my eye on for a while.

Quote: zooo @ August 8 2011, 8:24 PM BST

Don't like it when they bring the police horses in. They'll just get stuff thrown at them. :(

They knew the score when they signed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdvVpijAsiE

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 8 2011, 8:25 PM BST

I managed to get a new pair of wells and a pasty during the looting.

Saw in Peckham they burnt a Greggs! A Greggs! What is wrong with these people? Really hope they haven't burnt our Greggs