British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 429

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 5 2011, 12:25 AM BST

Now look, each to their own I know. But when public sector workers dare not sneeze, the Bombardier works is close to closing and all the other things too numerous to mention (thanks Dave, George, Oliver, William etc) . who the F paid this bloke to do this for five years?

The paper he was working on? Either that or was trying to write a book.

Bears don't "naturally attack." They are typically afraid of humans and seldom attack unless provoked. A bear that kills sleeping humans in tents is, unfortunately, a dangerous threat to human safety and must be destroyed to prevent a recurrence.

If people weren't allowed to live and play in areas where dangerous animals exist we'd all be shivering on a small piece of Antarctica and the odd desert island.

DaButt that's not all bears. Polar bears are apex predators more like tigers and have no real hangup about eating people.

Not like your fag American bears in their hats and ties stealing pinanic baskets and being camp.

Quote: sootyj @ August 6 2011, 11:20 AM BST

DaButt that's not all bears. Polar bears are apex predators more like tigers and have no real hangup about eating people.

A starving polar bear will eat a human but an unprovoked and well-fed animal will typically avoid a confrontation. The same goes for our brown/grizzly bears to which they are very closely related.

I think you'll find they are related to Irish bears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13965286

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 6 2011, 11:32 AM BST

Can you legally use a gun in self defence in the US?

Absolutely. A handful of states don't allow people to carry concealed handguns in public but even those states wouldn't blink an eye if someone used a firearm (or knife or baseball bat or any other sort of device) to protect themselves and/or their property from an assailant/burglar.

I have a license issued by the state of Texas that is valid in all of the non-gray states. I've taken a 9-hour, state-approved course of instruction, proven my shooting skills at the range and undergone a thorough background check. My firearm remains hidden from view and would only be used to protect myself and/or my property from scumbags who might want to relieve me of either.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 11:46 AM BST

I have a license issued by the state of Texas that is valid in all of the non-gay states.

You can't hold a gun with a limp wrist!

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2011, 10:52 AM BST

This polar bear business pisses me off. Some idiots go camping in the polar bears habitat, he naturally attacks, somebody dies and the poor bear is shot. They shouldn't be anywhere near the bears.

Agree 100%.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 11:17 AM BST

Bears don't "naturally attack." They are typically afraid of humans and seldom attack unless provoked. A bear that kills sleeping humans in tents is, unfortunately, a dangerous threat to human safety and must be destroyed to prevent a recurrence.

They weren't camping in a back garden in America! The bear was minding its own business in its own territory.
If anyone should be shot to prevent them from being a danger to the other, in this case, it ain't the bear.

Yeah, I thought it must be legal, or it takes away the only valid reason for carrying them. Looking at that graph, it seems you would be breaking the law taking it through other states to get to the east or west coast, if you were going by public transport. ? Do you have to declare them at airports and such?

Quote: sootyj @ August 6 2011, 11:54 AM BST

I have a license issued by the state of Texas that is valid in all of the non-gay states.

You'll also note that the states that don't allow concealed handguns for the masses are also some of the worst offenders when it comes to gun crime. Law-abiding citizens can't (legally) arm themselves there but the thugs and gang bangers have no such qualms about operating outside the law.

Quote: zooo @ August 6 2011, 11:57 AM BST

The bear was minding its own business in its own territory.

No it wasn't, it killed a kid who was minding his own business inside a tent. Shooting the bear probably saved other lives. It was the right thing to do.

Disagree!
They were in the middle of nowhere, where they shouldn't have been.

If we follow your logic we should kill all wild animals, because they might get hungry near a human.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 6 2011, 11:59 AM BST

Looking at that graph, it seems you would be breaking the law taking it through other states to get to the east or west coast, if you were going by public transport. ? Do you have to declare them at airports and such?

Don't confuse concealed carry with transporting a firearm and don't think that those states don't allow concealed carry: they are just selective about who can legally do so. For example you'll find that California only allows "special" people like cops, politicians, judges and well-connected, rich folks to carry. It's a pathetic law and will probably be changed one of these days.

Here are the regulations for flying with firearms:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I plan to do so for the first time next week when I fly to Atlanta for a visit with family in Florida and North Carolina.

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2011, 12:08 PM BST

You'll also note that the states that don't allow concealed handguns for the masses are also some of the worst offenders when it comes to gun crime. Law-abiding citizens can't (legally) arm themselves there but the thugs and gang bangers have no such qualms about operating outside the law.

Yes I see that argument very clearly. Maybe these states should just have a lot more visible armed police to deter gun crime.

Quote: zooo @ August 6 2011, 12:17 PM BST

They were in the middle of nowhere, where they shouldn't have been.

They were camping. Should nobody be allowed to camp anymore?

If we follow your logic we should kill all wild animals, because they might get hungry near a human.

No, we should kill all animals that attack humans without provocation. If the chav down the street has a pitbull that eats small children should it be allowed to continue roaming the streets or should it be put down in order to save lives?

You are for some reason comparing a pet to a wild polar bear.
And no, they should not be governed by the same rules.