British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 426

Reasonably good chance he'll get taken out in prison, I'd have thought, unless they keep him in solitary for the whole sentence.

Norway are currently looking to extend the '21 year rule' to 30 years, which should come into effect in the next year or so. They will not apply this to convictions retrospectively.

After 21 years he must be able to demonstrate his remorse and accept that his actions were wrong. Then he has to convince the hearing board that he is not a risk to society. Then they make a decision based on all of the case and parole evidence to decide whether the risk still exists. If it does, he stays in custody. If not, he is reintegrated.

But he'll be up for parole in 10 years

You could only know that as a result of the sentencing which hasn't happened. That's the POTENTIAL earliest he could be up for parole, but I very much doubt the court will grant him parole rights until the maximum 21 years.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 29 2011, 2:10 PM BST

Then he has to convince the hearing board that he is not a risk to society.

I can't see how a person who has done the things he has will ever convince anyone that he is no longer a risk.

There should definitely be some sort of change anyway that deals with the rare people who do things on that scale.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 6:18 AM BST

So we try and help them with education, jobs, somewhere to live etc.

As do we. For some inexplicable reason a segment of our society would rather shoot itself and live lives of crime despite having the same access to benefits as the rest of us. Prison doesn't seem to be the deterrent for them that it is to most of society and all the assistance in the world just doesn't help.

Of course spending all your taxes on the worlds largest and most pointless military whilst the infrastructure of your country falls apart is an alternative

Our country spends more on social programs than the military. Far, far more.

You're right, and naturally the crime itself is taken into account. It's highly unlikely that the individual would be able to convince a panel that he is no linger a risk. The nature of the crime would suggest otherwise. Plus he's pleading not guilty which will go against him greatly if convicted.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 29 2011, 11:54 AM BST

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 21 year thing the maximum time before a parole hearing? I was sure you could only be jailed for 21 years, and then you have a hearing and if you're still a threat, they lengthen your sentence?

Norway's previous mass murder champion was sentenced to 21 years for killing 22 people, although he claimed to have killed 138. He was released after 12 years of what I expect was pampered prison time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnfinn_Nesset

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ July 29 2011, 12:18 PM BST

Didn't a fellow say something similar to that about 70 - 80 years ago

I would rather they decided to become productive members of society. It's not exactly genocide if you say you hope that criminals of all races and colours would stop being criminals. It's merely common sense.

Every system has it's failures. Some worse than others. Norway is more focused on rehabilitation rather than punishment, which obviously works for them. It's an extremely emotive subject and one which will never be concluded to everyones' satisfaction.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 29 2011, 1:50 PM BST

In America, what would happen? If he wasn't in a death penalty state? Wouldn't each murder be stacked up? I seem to remember seeing that on TV;like someone kills ten people, and is put away for ten consecutive life sentances;so they'll basically never get out.

We sentence people to life without the possibility of parole. It's typically an agreement by the killer to avoid being executed.

Quote: DaButt @ July 29 2011, 3:21 PM BST

As do we. For some inexplicable reason a segment of our society would rather shoot itself and live lives of crime despite having the same access to benefits as the rest of us. Prison doesn't seem to be the deterrent for them that it is to most of society and all the assistance in the world just doesn't help.

Our country spends more on social programs than the military. Far, far more.

25% of your budget goes on defence, that's quite a bit.
Welfare is 12.5% I lost the link I had from a US site.

By contrast the UK spends 7% on defence and 16% on welfare and 17% on healthcare.

nb your social welfare programs are rather meaner than UK, Canada or Italy. Who in turn are alot meaner than Scandanavian countries.

Check out the quality of life indexes in more generous countries, kindness makes everyone happy DaButt.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 29 2011, 3:10 PM BST

I can't see how a person who has done the things he has will ever convince anyone that he is no longer a risk.

There should definitely be some sort of change anyway that deals with the rare people who do things on that scale.

The thing is exeptions become exeptions for all pretty damned fast.

In the same way that the police take laws permitting bugging meant for terrorists and use it for license evaders.

A premeditated murder is a premeditated murder in the eyes of the law.

Just out of interest what happens if the US doesn't pay its bills on Tuesday.

I'm going on Holiday in three weeks and the bill is in dollars. Any chance the dollar might weaken and I get a really cheap time?

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 4:39 PM BST

25% of your budget goes on defence, that's quite a bit.
Welfare is 12.5% I lost the link I had from a US site.

By contrast the UK spends 7% on defence and 16% on welfare and 17% on healthcare.

As you can see our welfare, health care and pension (Social Security, etc.) spending dwarf defence spending. Don't forget that these are federal figures and states kick in quite a bit of their own money, too.

Check out the quality of life indexes in more generous countries, kindness makes everyone happy DaButt.

Go into our inner cities wearing a fairy costume and carry a kindness wand in one hand and a bag full of welfare money in the other and see how long you last.

Didn't one of the Jackass boys do that?

I think he was being a meter fairy.

I think it's actually illegal to put money into another person's parking meter to save them from being fined. Stupid.