British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 425

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:11 PM BST

So chances are he'll be out in 10 years if he behaves himself.

I doubt that. Even if that is the current law there; whoevers in charge at the time would be forced by public outcry to look into making changes to the law, I imagine.

Agreed.

Well then at most 21 years. But you have to look at the underlying philosophy behind the law.

In this case 10 years loss of freedom is the punishment for murder, and that after that rehabilitation is societies responsibility.

To look him up for longer or more punatively on public opinion, rather than safety or health grounds. Would be like Dave Cameron telling the BBC what news to broadcast or letting a murderer out of jail.

I suppose an argument could be made he needs to be kept safe from other people. But it would be hard to press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issei_Sagawa

Probably the most horrendous example of someone getting away with murder I came across.

I'll be very surprised if they ever let him out. It won't happen.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:40 PM BST

I suppose an argument could be made he needs to be kept safe from other people. But it would be hard to press.

I doubt many people will be making that particular argument.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/29/murdoch-pie-thrower-guilty-assault

He really asked for a different sentencing date 'cos he was going on holiday?!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 29 2011, 1:40 PM BST

I'll be very surprised if they ever let him out. It won't happen.

But on what grounds?

Quote: AJGO @ July 29 2011, 1:41 PM BST

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/29/murdoch-pie-thrower-guilty-assault

He really asked for a different sentencing date 'cos he was going on holiday?!

Prat.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:42 PM BST

But on what grounds?

None of us know anything about Norwegian laws. But I'm sure they'll manage to come up with something. Still a danger to society etc. Hasn't shown any remorse.
Basically no one will want him released. The entire country (and world) will be against it. It's not the usual murder case that everyone except the few involved will have forgotten about in 21 years. I'm sure they'll find some way.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:42 PM BST

But on what grounds?

Sooty,I'm sure they will change the law, they will do something, they're not going to let out a man who shot dead so many people. It's all very well looking at it unemotionally and standing by the letter of the law, but the idea that any government would allow him to walk free on their watch is obviously silly. If the current law means he gets out, they will just change it.

Remorse wouldn't come into it unless you were talking about parole.

Societies can't just rewrite laws on an adhoc situational basis.

The question is, is he still a danger?

I'd say so! I certainly wouldn't want him on the streets, even in 21 years.

In America, what would happen? If he wasn't in a death penalty state? Wouldn't each murder be stacked up? I seem to remember seeing that on TV;like someone kills ten people, and is put away for ten consecutive life sentances;so they'll basically never get out.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:47 PM BST

Remorse wouldn't come into it unless you were talking about parole.

Societies can't just rewrite laws on an adhoc situational basis.

The question is, is he still a danger?

You honestly, honestly think that in ten or twenty years they will just say, 'well, the laws the law, out you go'?

It won't happen. No, I don't know how they will get around it, because I'm not a law expert, but it seems obvious that they will seek to do something to keep him out of the population.

And really, whatever their current law says, rightly so.

Yes it's kind of how the law works.

The laws blind that's what stops Murdoch havin "lost his marbles" executed for pieing him.

Some people serve absurdly short sentences for murder. It's a philosophical thing. We and the Yanks believe in punative punishment, maybe we're right maybe the Norwegians are right.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2011, 1:55 PM BST

Yes it's kind of how the law works.

The laws blind that's what stops Murdoch havin "lost his marbles" executed for pieing him.

Yeah, that's the same thing.

Ok bad example granted.

Look I'd like to see him bummed to death by a pack of manic depressive gorillas, whilst Davina McCall makes a commentary for channel 5.

But it ain't gonna happen.