British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 424

Quote: DaButt @ July 28 2011, 11:57 PM BST

Bullshit. Crime rates have everything to do with the society and nothing to do with the society's prisons. British prisons also have a high recidivism rate but you have few prisons and prisoners than we do. You (and Norway) also have fewer street thugs, gang members and drug dealers than we do. If the United States could get rid of that subclass of people our statistics would look like Norway's.

More it's because we treat them like people not a subclass. So we try and help them with education, jobs, somewhere to live etc.

Countries with humane prison and welfare systems reap the benefits long term.

Of course spending all your taxes on the worlds largest and most pointless military whilst the infrastructure of your country falls apart is an alternative

*awaits being informed about how China has 3 billion canoes and is planning to paddle to Europe for invasion*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 21 year thing the maximum time before a parole hearing? I was sure you could only be jailed for 21 years, and then you have a hearing and if you're still a threat, they lengthen your sentence?

Maybe I understood it wrong.

Also, I think I might move to Norway.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 29 2011, 11:54 AM BST

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 21 year thing the maximum time before a parole hearing? I was sure you could only be jailed for 21 years, and then you have a hearing and if you're still a threat, they lengthen your sentence?

I hope that's it. It seems a bit odd otherwise.

I doubt he'll ever be let out. It's just the British press always like to get outraged about something.

If the United States could get rid of that subclass of people our statistics would look like Norway's.

Didn't a fellow say something similar to that about 70 - 80 years ago

I just think that the media and the right wing looked at 21 years and just jumped on it. I just looked into it again, and I was right. You can't go 21 years without parole hearing. It is absolutely possible to spend your life in prison.

Beer and pizza is ver expensive!

I don't like beer. I do like pizza though... I'm sure I'd survive.

A-Ha! Good little band.

I think Norway is the Canada of Europe.

Yes. I would also move to Canada.

I'd like to go on holiday there. (Both places) Couldn't live outside England though. I'd miss everything, even stuff I don't like.

Chips not so bad.

Quote: DaButt @ July 28 2011, 9:21 PM BST

Check out the terrifying prison where the Norwegian mass murderer might spend his oh-so-long 21-year sentence:

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137368,00.html

Looks like a 'Big Brother' house furnished by Ikea. Utterly inhuman.

Maybe I understood it wrong.

Maximun sentence as a punishment is 21 years, with eligibility for unsupervised parole after 10.

But if person is considere a threat then 5 years can be added (and 5 years after that etc theoretically for the whole of life).

But that's if they're considered a danger, not because they deserve further punishment.

And I think he'd pass his sanity test easily.

So chances are he'll be out in 10 years if he behaves himself.

The idea behind short sentences is I think, it's societies role to involve and rehabilitate criminals. And the shorter sentences put's pressure on the prison service etc to acheive these aims.