British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 423

Bengali in Platforms?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/03/morrissey-china-subspecies-racism

http://bristol2007.wordpress.com/2007/12/02/morrissey-in-racist-comment-shocker/

Stott I like his songs, he's a great singer and the Smiths were ace.
But he's a big racist.

So there.

Quote: sootyj @ July 28 2011, 8:42 PM BST

Bengali in Platforms?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/03/morrissey-china-subspecies-racism

http://bristol2007.wordpress.com/2007/12/02/morrissey-in-racist-comment-shocker/

Stott I like his songs, he's a great singer and the Smiths were ace.
But he's a big racist.

So there.

Again, none of that says racist to me. If you want to see it as racist, then you can, if you stop and look at each thing properly, then no.

Saying you find reggae vile is not racist, unless you have decided he is racist and then see that statement as him saying he hates black people. Which it of course is saying nothing of the sort.

"...and life is hard enough if you belong here"

"...oh shelve your western plans"

I remember being shocked when I first heard it, cos I did and still do think he's ace. Doesn't mean I have to ignore his weaknesses.

Quote: sootyj @ July 28 2011, 8:48 PM BST

"...and life is hard enough if you belong here"

"...oh shelve your western plans"

I remember being shocked when I first heard it, cos I did and still do think he's ace. Doesn't mean I have to ignore his weaknesses.

That one is naive; but really what it's saying is a familiar Morrissey trope of self loathing. Obviously saying 'when you belong here' is a a bit provocative; but then again, as he has pointed out, Morrissey's own parents were imigrants.

None of the rest of the stuff you've highlighted can in anyway be seriously held up as 'evidence'.

Well it's clearly not loathing. Unless he considers himself Bengali.

And granted he didn't throw a dustbin through a curry house window or stab some one Chinese.

So I suppose he isn't a racist.

Right.

Check out the terrifying prison where the Norwegian mass murderer might spend his oh-so-long 21-year sentence:

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137368,00.html

Nice!

I wonder what the reoffending rates are in Norway. If they are higher or lower than places with unpleasant prisons.

Well I wouldn't mind staying there!

But seriously the absence of inhumane surroundings, combined with time may actually force him to think about his actions. It maybe a crueller punishment then one imediately thinks.

That's assuming he's found sufficently sane to stand trial.

Quote: zooo @ July 28 2011, 9:27 PM BST

Nice!

I wonder what the reoffending rates are in Norway. If they are higher or lower than places with unpleasant prisons.

Very low, brutal prison regimes create a perpetual criminal underclass.

If 21 years is the maximum then at some point he is going to be released.

If I were him I'd kill a prison guard the day before release because, even after 21 years, I wouldn't fancy his chances on the outside.

I hope he gets gang raped every day of those 21 years

I hope they rip his arse in two

c**t

Quote: zooo @ July 28 2011, 9:27 PM BST

Nice!

A quick googling suggests Norway has only about 20%, compared to 60% in the US. I know there's a strong urge to punish wrongdoers, but the price to society for that is clearly very high.

Quote: sootyj @ July 28 2011, 9:28 PM BST

Well I wouldn't mind staying there!

But seriously the absence of inhumane surroundings, combined with time may actually force him to think about his actions. It maybe a crueller punishment then one imediately thinks.

That's assuming he's found sufficently sane to stand trial.

They make for very dull Loius Theroux documentaries though.

Unfortunately in the UK political posturing on crime takes precedence over reducing it.
Criminals should be treated to a more enlightened rehabilitive approach, apart from the little bastard who robbed my flat last year. He should be crushing up rocks on Devil's Island.

Quote: sootyj @ July 28 2011, 9:28 PM BST

Bullshit. Crime rates have everything to do with the society and nothing to do with the society's prisons. British prisons also have a high recidivism rate but you have few prisons and prisoners than we do. You (and Norway) also have fewer street thugs, gang members and drug dealers than we do. If the United States could get rid of that subclass of people our statistics would look like Norway's.

Quote: DaButt @ July 28 2011, 11:57 PM BST

You (and Norway) also have fewer street thugs, gang members and drug dealers than we do. If the United States could get rid of that subclass of people our statistics would look like Norway's.

"Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon."