British Comedy Guide

My Boss - Knob of the Week Award

A thread to nominate your boss when they have been a right knob.

KLRiley's boss from another thread:

I wish I could but in the current line of work I can't. I'm a lecturer and we're desperately marking to have stuff ready for consideration as to whether students who had to retake work have passed. What's hacked me off is a senior colleague who hates me has basically cut me out of the information loop and is dealing direct with students on my courses and not telling me. I, on the other hand, have kept this individual in the loop all the way through. I have four whole days left and this guy is still behaving like the maroon he is. If I'd known he was going to be like this then I would have just cleared my office and left six weeks ago.

Amazing Will. When I saw the title of thread I thought I could suggest winners for the next couple of years and you've beaten me to it! :D

Not to worry you, but two of my lecturers are doing the same to my third lecturer trying to get us students to turn against him, some of the students fell for it too, made me pretty mad.

Can we add NSFW to the thread title?

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 25 2011, 10:44 PM BST

Sorry Nil. What that mean?

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 25 2011, 10:44 PM BST

:D

Haha, Will doesn't know! Everyone point at him until a wee patch appears on his trousers!

NSFW = Not safe for work

I work in a government office in a random northern town. My boss is a slave driving bully, with few emotional needs, who spends all day in his office playing with his ipad.

I wouldn't mind but all does with it is look up sketches by some weirdo called Sootyj whilst touching his downstairs department.

How I wish there was a coal mine I could go and work in.

Quote: Corey O'Graffor @ July 25 2011, 11:51 PM BST

:D

Haha, Will doesn't know! Everyone point at him until a wee patch appears on his trousers!

NSFW = Not safe for work

Laughing out loud

Quote: Will Cam @ July 25 2011, 11:49 PM BST

Sorry Nil. What that mean?

No sex for Will

I was working in a call centre last year an my boss was the biggest knob ever. She literally had no people skills what so ever. I sat opposite a guy called Liam and his back was to her desk. One time she was at her desk and she cleared her throat, so Liam turned round briefly because he thought she was trying to get his attention. She immediately said "Why are you looking at me Liam? If you are looking at me then it means you are not working and, if you are not working then why do I need to keep you here." To which Liam replied "Sorry, you cleared you throat so I thought you were trying to get my attention". Then she said "Liam, I know your name. If I wanted your attention then I would call you by your name. So do not look at me unless I call you by your name."

What kind of person thinks that they can say "do not look at me unless I call you by your name" just because they have the level of power that a manager of a small call centre team has, that's the sort of thing Caligula would say. I really wanted to smash her face in when she said that. I know your not supposed to hit women but there has to be a few exceptions to this rule.

Yeh stupid really.

It's like the golden rule of being a manager for me is always doing the washing up, always be the person who offers to make the tea.

But then I go out of my way never to call myself manager. Far as I'm concerned we all work together, I've just got diferent tasks and responsibilities.

The net result is I find a team that feels trusted and valued, does their job better, puts up with more, works harder and comes up with more ideas.

Some one who always expects you to make them tea, or hangs over people, or is rude. Is the manager who never knows whats going on and can only get people to do any work when they are physically standing over them.

(nb I'm also the person who unblocks the loos)

And the person who blocks them?

It's more to do with the client group then anything....

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2011, 1:33 PM BST

Yeh stupid really.

It's like the golden rule of being a manager for me is always doing the washing up, always be the person who offers to make the tea.

But then I go out of my way never to call myself manager. Far as I'm concerned we all work together, I've just got diferent tasks and responsibilities.

The net result is I find a team that feels trusted and valued, does their job better, puts up with more, works harder and comes up with more ideas.

Some one who always expects you to make them tea, or hangs over people, or is rude. Is the manager who never knows whats going on and can only get people to do any work when they are physically standing over them.

(nb I'm also the person who unblocks the loos)

This is all very well SootyJ but you are self employed!

Self employed with multiple personality disorder.

I was on strike last week and working as a scab.