British Comedy Guide

A question for the school teachers.

Yo, Teach!

Right so me and a friend have had a bit of a barney and I'm trying be constructive and get advice now.

My bezzie mate is getting married next year and wants to tie the knot on 12/12/12 (which is a Wednesday). One of the bridesmaids (my friend, a teacher) is worried that she won't be given it off and might be fired if she pulls a sickie or something similar.

Question boils down to- have you had experience of getting a day off from work for something other than bereavement, family stuff or illness?

It's a year and a half until the day and would of course take it unpaid. Is this a reasonable request? Or are schools really just big giant c**ts?

I sometimes think teachers like to make out they're more important than they are, but maybe I'm being an arze.

:D

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 24 2011, 11:15 PM BST

Yo, Teach!

Right so me and a friend have had a bit of a barney and I'm trying be constructive and get advice now.

My bezzie mate is getting married next year and wants to tie the knot on 12/12/12 (which is a Wednesday). One of the bridesmaids (my friend, a teacher) is worried that she won't be given it off and might be fired if she pulls a sickie or something similar.

Question boils down to- have you had experience of getting a day off from work for something other than bereavement, family stuff or illness?

It's a year and a half until the day and would of course take it unpaid. Is this a reasonable request? Or are schools really just big giant c**ts?

Am I missing the point here? Why doesn't she just ask? It is 18 months away and in the run up to Christmas when I wouldn't imagine the school would be doing much in any case . .

Errr

If she asks then she DEFINITELY can't pull a sickie. Age old 'mean boss' problem scenario.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 25 2011, 12:37 AM BST

If she asks then she DEFINITELY can't pull a sickie. Age old 'mean boss' problem scenario.

And if she goes sick and gets found out?

Surely with 18 months notice something can be arranged?

My LLW (don't ask you will fear for society) teacher got off to be bridesmaid, this was a Catholic grammer school, so I don't know if its relevent.

My brother is getting married on 11/11/11. TRUFAX!

I think 18 months should be enough notice for them to be able to get cover for a day off. Laughing out loud Blimey schools, eh! I had no idea they treated the teachers like kids too.

I too must be missing something. Is teaching the only job where you're not allowed to book time off? Still, that would explain why our schools are the best in the world. ;)

On the bright side, the relationship will have probably broken down long before then.

Oi.

What time is your friend getting married Nat and what age kids does she teach?

Primary school teachers, as part of their terms and conditions have 10% of their week as non-contact time (it's called PPA). That means a morning or afternoon where they don't have to be in the class but can do planning/marking etc.

If she gets PPA, and the wedding is in the afternoon, and she has a good boss, she might be able to swing it by swapping her PPA.

Paying for a supply teacher to come in to cover staff for personal commitments, particularly in the present climate, would not be a priority of mine if I was her boss. Where do you draw the line? Wedding, anniversary, birthdays, Man United playing in Europe etc.

My wife is a teacher and I know how much school work she does in the evenings, weekend and during the holidays. She would never expect to get a day off in the school week to go to a wedding, particularly when it appears the bride is fixated on the date because it is 12,12,12 (seems a bit poncy to me).

Quote: Will Cam @ July 25 2011, 11:37 AM BST

What time is your friend getting married Nat and what age kids does she teach?

Primary school teachers, as part of their terms and conditions have 10% of their week as non-contact time (it's called PPA). That means a morning or afternoon where they don't have to be in the class but can do planning/marking etc.

If she gets PPA, and the wedding is in the afternoon, and she has a good boss, she might be able to swing it by swapping her PPA.

Paying for a supply teacher to come in to cover staff for personal commitments, particularly in the present climate, would not be a priority of mine if I was her boss. Where do you draw the line? Wedding, anniversary, birthdays, Man United playing in Europe etc.

My wife is a teacher and I know how much school work she does in the evenings, weekend and during the holidays. She would never expect to get a day off in the school week to go to a wedding, particularly when it appears the bride is fixated on the date because it is 12,12,12 (seems a bit poncy to me).

3/10

Quote: Marc P @ July 25 2011, 11:39 AM BST

3/10

12/12