British Comedy Guide

Peter Kay Sitcom Not Happening Page 3

Though Peter Kay has disappeared from this thread, and is still absent in my post, I just wanted to give some support the The Black Adder. I really liked it. It's much better than Blackadder the Third if you ask me.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ January 4, 2008, 10:08 PM

Blackadder is garbage.

The Thin Blue Line however, is possibly the most under-rated sitcom I can think of!

:O :O and :O again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 10:13 PM

Which Ive already agreed with you on, I was just saying all the rubbish doesnt take away from the good work he put into those earlier gems.

Of course not, but by the same token it can't detract from how rubbish he now it.

Neither should cloud current or past work.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 10:16 PM

Of course not, but by the same token it can't detract from how rubbish he now it.

Neither should cloud current or past work.

Well yes, the good stuffs good, the bad stuff (Most of his stuff) isnt. I didnt try and force a giggle watching Get A Grip becuase he once put words in Edmund Blackadders mouth. :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 10:20 PM

Well yes, the good stuffs good, the bad stuff (Most of his stuff) isnt. I didnt try and force a giggle watching Get A Grip becuase he once put words in Edmund Blackadders mouth. :D

That show was so painful. The bargain bin Maquita Oliver was rubbish.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 10:21 PM

That show was so painful. The bargain bin Maquita Oliver was rubbish.

It was so stiff and unfunny it was untrue, and the female foil was pointless. Elton didnt give her any even vaguely funny things to say, just made her say things like 'Yeah, well; i love the internet', so he could then jabber some crap 'comedic' monologue about why the internets rubbish. Surely they must have done a pilot of this, did no one see how stale, stiff and unnatural the set-up was? Never mind how unfunny.

Why all this hate for Peter Kay?

Sure, the ring-tone catchphrases grate as far as his stand-up goes, but Phoenix Nights was a great show and he was marvellous in it.

I certainly hope this ill-will isn't because he's made a bundle of money.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 10, 2008, 12:09 PM

I'm absolutely fine with him making money. When he made money because he produced great stand up and an awesome TV show, I didn't care.

Since then, all he's done is re-release the same stand up material, to make more money, ruin a potentially good spin-off show, to make more money and write a crap book, to make more money.

I love Phoenix Nights as much as ever, but I hate what Kay has become. He's not a comedian, he's a business man. A cheap, chav business man who's adored by people who think he's 'down to earth'.

Kay isn't the root of all evil. His talentless sidekick, McGuinness, is much worse.

Well, I guess I've been blessed in that I have neither watched his spin off shows or read his book, but I hardly blame the guy for releasing old stand up. He did the work, hit a popular high and wants paying for his dues. I agree I'd like to see him make something new but I don't catsigate him for resting on his laurels for a bit.

Releaseing the same footage every Christmas for 5 years is not 'resting on his laurels for a bit', it's lazy and greedy and it's taking the piss out of a loyal (and stupid) audience.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 10, 2008, 12:09 PM

Why all this hate for Peter Kay?

Sure, the ring-tone catchphrases grate as far as his stand-up goes, but Phoenix Nights was a great show and he was marvellous in it.

Phoenix Nights was great, and I enjoy his stand up, but a lot of people do seem to hate him; in a simialr way to how a lot of people hate Gervais. There is that old cliche of us Brits liking the underdog and tearing down the succesful; maybe its something to do with that. Kays latest live DVD is a rip off, but then Im not going to buy it so I dont care. Hopefully Kay in the future will pen another show as good as Nights.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ January 10, 2008, 4:04 PM

Releaseing the same footage every Christmas for 5 years is not 'resting on his laurels for a bit', it's lazy and greedy and it's taking the piss out of a loyal (and stupid) audience.

Thats an exaggeration isnt it? Its only his last two stand up dvds that have the whiff of cash in about them. And not all Kay fans are stupid, yes he appeals to the masses, but some of his work, for example Phoenix Nights, is good whatever your IQ. And yes, others were involved in Nights writing, but that doesnt mean Kay wasnt a big part of its success.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ January 10, 2008, 4:04 PM

Really he's just the U2 of the comedy world.

Not original but appeals to the masses.

Quote: David Chapman @ January 10, 2008, 7:41 PM

Really he's just the U2 of the comedy world.

Not original but appeals to the masses.

Phoenix Nights is better than that though; even if its the only distinguished piece he ever creates. Actually, That Peter Kay Thing wasnt bad either.

Really he was like a breath of fresh air. The material might not have been funny funny but in the words of Frank Carson .........

i thought the first series of blackadder was great.
and i like peter kay.
they both made me laugh.