British Comedy Guide

Peter Kay Sitcom Not Happening Page 2

Quote: Seefacts @ January 2, 2008, 5:28 PM

And he's a twat in person.

That I agree with, but he is a great writer. Not many people could write comedy at his standard and churn out so much stuff at the same time.

Quote: Treenifer @ January 3, 2008, 9:48 PM

That I agree with, but he is a great writer. Not many people could write comedy at his standard and churn out so much stuff at the same time.

Like?

Beyond Blackadder, TYOs and The Thin Blue Line everything else has been rubbish.

His books?! . . . By god his books . . .

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 4:44 PM

Like?

Beyond Blackadder, TYOs and The Thin Blue Line everything else has been rubbish.

Yeah, cos thats a pretty shitty list of sit-coms!!! He may have done some crap, but the fact he wrote Blackadder and the Young Ones puts him at the top table of sit-com writers. Obviously hes churned out crap for the last ten or fifteen years, but he wrote Blackadder!! Blackadder!!!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 6:22 PM

Yeah, cos thats a pretty shitty list of sit-coms!!! He may have done some crap, but the fact he wrote Blackadder and the Young Ones puts him at the top table of sit-com writers. Obviously hes churned out crap for the last ten or fifteen years, but he wrote Blackadder!! Blackadder!!!!

You can't live of past glories forever.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 6:25 PM

Course you can, itd be great to have any glory to live off! When he dies, hell be remembered as the writer of the young ones and blackadder; even if he never does another worthwhile thing (and it doesnt look likely) hes made his mark and a valuable contribution to the face of TV comedy. Im not mad on Elton or anything, but the boys done some good shit!

I'd just like to say here, he was CO-writer on Blackadder and TYO. And the impression I got from Comedy Connections, more co-co-writer than co-writer on TYO.

Quote: Aaron @ January 4, 2008, 8:25 PM

I'd just like to say here, he was CO-writer on Blackadder and TYO. And the impression I got from Comedy Connections, more co-co-writer than co-writer on TYO.

Yeah, but on Blackadder at least he obviously had a big impact, as the first series was pretty poor, then he came on board and suddenly its one of the all time great Brit sit-coms.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 9:38 PM

Yeah, but on Blackadder at least he obviously had a big impact, as the first series was pretty poor, then he came on board and suddenly its one of the all time great Brit sit-coms.

The original pilot was a bit closer to the Blackadder we came to know and love, so I'm not sure if that quite stands up.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 9:39 PM

The original pilot was a bit closer to the Blackadder we came to know and love, so I'm not sure if that quite stands up.

No, your right, its just a wild co-incidence that that Elton has been involved in greats like blackadder and Young Ones, he more than likely just made the tea and gave shoulder rubs. Why try to belittle Eltons contributions? He obviously wrote good stuff for these shows, even if most of the rest of his output is dodgy; and Blackadder was undeniably better after he joined. Like Ive already said, Im not a fan in particualr of Elton, but he has produced the goods on a few occasions. Why is this so difficult to take on board?!

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 6:25 PM

But he's probably getting thousands in repeat fees.

I agree though that stuff like Blessed is atrocious. How many jokes can you make about a new mum's leaky boobs?

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 9:39 PM

Wot 'e said. There's a very interesting curve in Blackadder. My theory, after having seen the pilot, is that they started off trying a balance of the different humour which was in S1 and S2-4. For whatever reason, it was decided that they should go for the more dry, subtle humour. It didn't quite work as intended, so they went the other way for S2, and it hit the spot.

Well that's my theory anyhoo.

IMO, S1 isn't bad, it's just different in style.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 9:48 PM

Why is this so difficult to take on board?!

It isn't. We're just making the point that the impact you're citing isn't necessarily ALL him.

Blackadder is garbage.

The Thin Blue Line however, is possibly the most under-rated sitcom I can think of!

Quote: Rick Skelton @ January 4, 2008, 10:08 PM

Blackadder is garbage.

What?! Ban this person immediately!
:D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 4, 2008, 9:48 PM

No, your right, its just a wild co-incidence that that Elton has been involved in greats like blackadder and Young Ones, he more than likely just made the tea and gave shoulder rubs. Why try to belittle Eltons contributions? He obviously wrote good stuff for these shows, even if most of the rest of his output is dodgy; and Blackadder was undeniably better after he joined. Like Ive already said, Im not a fan in particualr of Elton, but he has produced the goods on a few occasions. Why is this so difficult to take on board?!

I know he's been involved in some brilliant stuff. But his out put over the 12 years has been shit.

I don't like the man, and don't rate him as a stand up or a writer. (Stand up ever, writer ever since The Thin Blue Line)

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 10:11 PM

I know he's been involved in some brilliant stuff. But his out put over the 12 years has been shit.

Which Ive already agreed with you on, I was just saying all the rubbish doesnt take away from the good work he put into those earlier gems.