British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 134

I finished The Great Gatsby and thought it was very well written, but not one I'd read again.

Currently reading Women by Bukowski. It's quite entertaining, but not as enjoyable as his other novels. I prefer the ones where he's struggling a bit more.

Dave Spikey's autobiography.

Im currently reading Macbeth..well I say reading, im sort of looking at the words and scratching my head in bemusement

What the f**k was this guy on when he wrote this drivel?

Cant understand a bloody word...

I mean, its a great story , but speak English buddy ffs

It's not Russian!

I'm thinking you need a certain book or two by our very own Martin Baum.

You need to listen to it! I often read Shakespeare out loud, as stupid as that sounds. Just enjoy the poetry of it if you can and get the jist of the story.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 30 2011, 8:36 PM BST

Im currently reading Macbeth..well I say reading, im sort of looking at the words and scratching my head in bemusement

What the f**k was this guy on when he wrote this drivel?

Cant understand a bloody word...

I mean, its a great story , but speak English buddy ffs

Read a study guide at the same time as the play.

Once you get into the humour and poetry you'll get why it's the shizz

But no one gets it straight out in the raw

except for Boris Johnson and Steve Fry

and they're both c**ts.

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2011, 9:03 PM BST

Steve Fry

Never heard of him.

I only enjoyed Shakespeare when I was doing it at school and had notes to explain what was going on.

Under the Dome by Stephen King. He's still great when he runs with a big loopy idea.

Quote: Ben @ May 30 2011, 11:10 PM BST

I only enjoyed Shakespeare when I was doing it at school and had notes to explain what was going on.

Notes? Notes! We never had notes. ( mutters to self about intellectual wimps)

Have at last finished 'Austerlitz.' Lead me to a Beano Annual for some relief!

We watched a film version of Mac..... The Scottish play at school and Keith 'button mushroom' Chegwin was in it!!

I'm sure old shakey was turning in his grave!

Just finished Provenance and cannot recommend it too highly. A fascinating examination of art fraud, conning and lying. Can only hope the inevitable movie version will not co-star Tom Hanks and Leo diCaprio.

Required reading for cat fanciers and fans of Rolf Harris. Not much text and not much Rolf, but lots of photos and a few drawings of cats and kittens.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 27 2011, 9:26 PM BST

I only read comedy related bookage

but would like some really good sci-fi novels if anyone can recommend some

Would Terry Pratchett's Discworld series count?

Quote: Kenneth @ July 20 2011, 3:33 AM BST

Required reading for cat fanciers and fans of Rolf Harris. Not much text and not much Rolf, but lots of photos and a few drawings of cats and kittens.

Aww.

I just bought the Observer Book of Cats for a pound. It has loads of photos of 1950s cats.
They were more fluffy then.