British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 398

Who needs guns anyway when you got this killer under your bed

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 21 2011, 5:21 PM BST

'Documented mental problems' could be anything from a spell in a clinic during a period of severe depression to being diagnosed psychotic

You don't want to give a gun to a psycho nor someone who is clinically depressed and possibly suicidal. I've never dealt with a mental health issue so I'm not really sure how that is handled by the state as far as gun permits. It's obvious that better reporting is needed, as evidenced by the nutcase in Arizona who shot the Congresswoman with what I think were legally acquired weapons.

Woe there with some of that terminology!

Guns would seem to increase prejudice.

I'm comfortable with calling people like the Arizona shooter "psychos" and "nutcases." I don't think I'd wince if they were referred to as "raving lunatics" either.

Mad as a box of snakes?

Doolally!
There are some fun words, it can't be denied.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2011, 7:14 PM BST

Doolally!

I've never heard that one. Is it an India thing?

Oh, it might be.
I think of it as English, but there's loads of Indian words we've taken on.

Quote: DaButt @ June 21 2011, 7:13 PM BST

I'm comfortable with calling people like the Arizona shooter "psychos" and "nutcases." I don't think I'd wince if they were referred to as "raving lunatics" either.

You seem to have plenty neurotypicals capable of keeping your murder and invasion industry nice and busy,

Quote: sootyj @ June 21 2011, 7:21 PM BST

neurotypicals

Your words wound me so. Teary

I'm starting to wonder how you passed the mental health side of the test.

Did you just turn up in Stars and Stripes underpants, fire a clip into the ceiling and belch the star spangled banner?

You pass by not having a history of mental health problems. I've never told anyone about the voices in my head so I was fine. ;)

the voices told you that eh?

smart voices

Quote: DaButt @ June 21 2011, 6:59 PM BST

You don't want to give a gun to a psycho nor someone who is clinically depressed and possibly suicidal. .

True, that would be irresponsible, but the Government can only work with what they know about the person, so the majority who legally own guns and misuse them would be unknown to services and have no known history of mental illness. There are laws in place to stop guns getting into the wrong hands yet there is still so much gun crime...something wrong somewhere in that whole setup...I'm flummoxed if I know.

Quote: zooo @ June 21 2011, 7:14 PM BST

Doolally!
There are some fun words, it can't be denied.

Got a good ring to it I admit ;)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-08-23-1Aforthood23_CV_N.htm

Puts another angle on it.