British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 129

:O

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 10:08 AM BST

The trick is to write for the medium!! I write a lot of bantha waffle etc in a novel that I wouldn't dream of putting in a script.

So why are you so sure Dereck Acora is going to want to read about the small talk of an obscure species from the Star Wars movies?

I am not even sure Derek Acora can read.

I believe he can cold read.

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 11:38 AM BST

I am not even sure Derek Acora can breed.

Dear God I hope not

Oooh, you are naughty Sootj

It would be, but they didn't. If you want to suggest what they might do next time, that's fine.

I am referring to future events. They could go out months after the original performance, so as not to influence ticket sales/judging or whatever. I can see I'm flogging a dead horse here, and I'm playing poker as we speak so.......adios amigos.

Quote: Krusty @ June 15 2011, 8:03 PM BST

It would be, but they didn't. If you want to suggest what they might do next time, that's fine.

I am referring to future events. They could go out months after the original performance, so as not to influence ticket sales/judging or whatever. I can see I'm flogging a dead horse here, and I'm playing poker as we speak so.......adios amigos.

Well, I don't understand gambling......nor your post :)

Quote: andyblacksheep @ June 15 2011, 7:42 AM BST

Not trying to miss the point, but you can see all the finalists over just 2 weeks: July 4th and July 11th, which feature 4 of the 8 finalists each.

And while I understand the people asking for the shows to be filmed, firstly that's honestly not going to do them justice, and secondly the competition rules state that the writers retain copyright of their entries, so it's not as straightforward as you might assume.

Hi, Thanks for your response. Yes, I realise now that there are opprtunities to see more at a time but this was not clear on the New Diorama website so I decided just to go to the first one and see what the format was and take it from there. Also for me personally, July is out as I am involved with a series of rehearsed readings in Cambridge then.

I totally agree with your comments on filming. These are essentially live performances and although they may be based on ideas that are ultimately supposed to have TV potential, there is a MASSIVE difference between a TV show and a filmed stage performance and they would not come across well on film. The copyright issue is also an important consideration.

Quote: andyblacksheep @ June 15 2011, 9:30 AM BST

I understand that. It is, however, an unfortunate feature of reality that you can't get to see everything you want whenever you want it. I don't get to see the SitCom Trials as I'm based in London. I'm not going to try and insist that they all get put on line for my benefit.

Although of course The Sitcom Trials (as opposed to the Sitcom Mission, which thread this is) were filmed and put online for their last season. But, as you can see from glancing at the clips below, it's more of a glimpse of what happened than a full recording. That's because, as has been stated, simply pointing a camera at a stage show shows you nothing of real value. Unless you can mike up, light up, and properly shoot with more than one camera, you're going to miss most things, and even then the atmosphere of a simple live show is very hard to capture. Check out these clips though, you get a taste of who was there and, sometimes, how well they went down.

Sitcom Trials archive http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=69020E394F073EC2
1st Semi Final: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfe-ZrbfeEc
2nd Semi Final: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7VTczQWDyo
Sitcom Trials Final 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEaOXath5w

Oh yes, and the deadline for scripts is this weekend by the way, so whenever you're ready...

Kev F
Manchester Sitcom Trials July 2nd 2011 http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Hello all

Ok, here's the beef.

Tickets haven't sold well for the shows. We did actually send out a blog email to all 1200+ writers who entered telling them about the shows, and so far there's been little to no response. We've taken a hit financially so we're going to make some changes.

First off, next week's 7.30 show has been reduced to £5. That's two sketch groups, two sitcoms, an improv group and the Beta Males for £5. Please come, we'd appreciate it.

Secondly, we'll be introducing an audience vote element to the July 4 and July 11 shows. Simon, Claire and Declan will decide on four of the sitcoms to go through to the Grand Final, and one is to go through on audience numbers.

Really looking forward to seeing you at a future show.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ June 16 2011, 12:21 PM BST

Hello all

We did actually send out a blog email to all 1200+ writers who entered telling them about the shows, and so far there's been little to no response.

Did anyone else receive this? I didn't. Just did a search of my e-mails to make sure and the last communication I had was the longlist announcement on 14th March. Perhaps it didn't get through to everyone on the list, which might explain the lack of response? :(

Quote: Declan @ June 16 2011, 12:21 PM BST

Secondly, we'll be introducing an audience vote element to the July 4 and July 11 shows. Simon, Claire and Declan will decide on four of the sitcoms to go through to the Grand Final, and one is to go through on audience numbers.

Laughing out loud

Every year you change the rules halfway through!

I'd definitely have come but it is a long commute from North Norfolk.
Maybe you could film them Declan?

;)

I'd love to get down there too - I really want to check out the sitcoms that got through, but work/family's making it hard at the moment.

Just a thought, but if you were to film the scripts (and obviously I know it wouldn't be anything like commercial quality - just the full script, reasonable sound and a decent view of the stage) I'd happily pay for a DVD of them all.

You could hold off selling them till after the competition so it wouldn't interfere in any way - might recoup some losses?