British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 128

And finally: Simon and Declan want people to come to see these shows.

Exactly how much of an incentive is: "...or alternatively, you can sit at home and see them all for free?"

Quote: andyblacksheep @ June 15 2011, 9:26 AM BST

And finally: Simon and Declan want people to come to see these shows.

Exactly how much of an incentive is: "...or alternatively, you can sit at home and see them all for free?"

Because for one I live up't north Andy and I can't get there every Monday, can you imagine the cost plus I have a hubby to consider ;)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 15 2011, 9:24 AM BST

Many productions use one camera. They could have been filmed when fully rehearsed and not before the audience.
@MarcP, you first do the production at full length, then waist up then close up, then edit ......been there, done that, got the T-shirt, know all about continuity :)

Errr... I know a tad about these things too BB. They haven't got the time to faff about like that. It's called wide medium and close up by the way :) And the edit takes a lot of time too. But as you have been there done that and got the t shirt maybe you could direct us to the link to see how good it can look! ;)

Tugging your leg... but the point Andy makes is a good one. It will never be good enough to show to pros... cos it can't be. The script is good enough. Like I say maybe an audio version?

I did the TAPS and they filmed that but it was in a studio with a full pro crew and proper cameras like... and it kind of worked but it was still a film of a staged performance of a FILM ... so good as a memento nowhere near as good a calling card as the original script.

It would be great for us to see who haven't made it down to see. But the thing isn't really about us.... alas. :)

@Bushbaby "Because for one I live up't north Andy and I can't get there every Monday"

I understand that. It is, however, an unfortunate feature of reality that you can't get to see everything you want whenever you want it. I don't get to see the SitCom Trials as I'm based in London. I'm not going to try and insist that they all get put on line for my benefit.

@MarcP, none of my work is online, I haven't got a DVD player in this PC, so can't play one or put one on YouTube. I have a separate DVD player connected to the TV. I meant the DVDs to be bought by anyone wishing to purchase, rather like the M3 audio [is it?] that I bought of my piece off Declan/Simon. I didn't mean that the 'industry' people should have them.
@Andy, I keep saying, I don't mean they should be put online ;)
That's enough from me anyway

Thats not enough from you BB! I'll bet you a bottle of Blue Nun on it :)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 15 2011, 9:24 AM BST

And I wasn't thinking in terms of YouTube/online; more to put on DVDs to sell

My apologies, I missed that bit - one of the problems with internet forums when three posts fly past while you're replying to the previous one!

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 9:41 AM BST

Thats not enough from you BB! I'll bet you a bottle of Blue Nun on it :)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud my, my that's an old fashioned wine. I'm more into a good Merlot ;)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 15 2011, 9:52 AM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud my, my that's an old fashioned wine. I'm more into a good Merlot ;)

Lightweight get stuck into some Shiraz girl! Or the Holy Trinity that is GSM :)
From the Barossa Valley.

Is this relevant to the sitcom Mission?? Yes. Yes it is. :)

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 9:55 AM BST

Lightweight get stuck into some Shiraz girl! Or the Holy Trinity that is GSM :)
From the Barossa Valley.

Is this relevant to the sitcom Mission?? Yes. Yes it is. :)

I find Shiraz far too powerful for me and after a couple of glasses am well p*ssed :D :D
Getting back to the subject of this thread, I know the team couldn't do all the 'one camera' procedure, just full length shots would do me ;)
I knew I wouldn't be able to shut it Laughing out loud
When I write/read scripts, however, I visualise long/close up shots etc. When a character says a funny line, I visualise a close up of the reaction of the other character and it's this that makes me laugh more than the line said. But sadly, not everyone can do that, so a lot of my 'humour' is lost on the page......that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 15 2011, 10:06 AM BST

I find Shiraz far too powerful for me and after a couple of glasses am well p*ssed :D :D
Getting back to the subject of this thread, I know the team couldn't do all the 'one camera' procedure, just full length shots would do me ;)
I knew I wouldn't be able to shut it Laughing out loud
When I write/read scripts, however, I visualise long/close up shots etc. When a character says a funny line, I visualise a close up of the reaction of the other character and it's this that makes me laugh more than the line said. But sadly, not everyone can do that, so a lot of my 'humour' is lost on the page......that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

It is a very, very good point. A lot of humour, the laughs come from peoples reactions. Then Trigger pulls a face. The trick is to write for the medium!! I write a lot of banter waffle etc in a novel that I wouldn't dream of putting in a script.

It does work in theatre too Marc, it's just that in that medium, the expressions/reactions are more exaggerated, that's all.

This thing though is a curious hybrid. People are looking to stage it theatrically but are reading it with a view to sitcom.. so you have to serve both masters. Plus they were wrong with their choices obviously :)

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 10:29 AM BST

This thing though is a curious hybrid. People are looking to stage it theatrically but are reading it with a view to sitcom.. so you have to serve both masters. Plus they were wrong with their choices obviously :)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud absolutely

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2011, 10:08 AM BST

I write a lot of banter waffle etc in a novel that I wouldn't dream of putting in a script.

Yeah, a whole novel's worth!

;)

Dan