British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 760

We might even have a new Doctor.

I reckon Smith will be there for at least another series. With that face, he's not exactly going to find it easy getting work as a leading man.

Also, I read this quote today on Den of Geek from Moffat about the mid-series cliffhanger: "I kept referring to a mid-season finale. So we are going to make it two series - seven episodes at Easter building to an earth-shattering climax, a cliffhanger we could never normally do because it would be too long before it came back. An enormous game-changing cliffhanger that will change everything."

I can't wait to see that episode.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a323673/doctor-who-renewed-for-seventh-series-with-matt-smith.html

Quote: chipolata @ June 7 2011, 6:36 PM BST

I
building to an earth-shattering climax, An enormous game-changing cliffhanger that will change everything."

Laughing out loud oh and ooh that's nice! .. and it will change everything too... that;s handy. And great to have another cliffhanger at the end of the series that will see everything change - yes indeed the suspense... will the Doctor live I wonder.

Relentless! :P

Quote: Marc P @ June 7 2011, 8:28 AM BST

Eh? ;)

It's just that most people think their lives are complicated (though not as complicated as people on Doctor Who, of course).

[quote name="Matthew Stott" post="772921" date="June 7 2011, 7:13 PM BST"]http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/ne3/doctor-who-renewed-for-seventh-series-with-matt-smith.html
[/qu
If confirmed, that's great news. Even the most mental interpretation of anything I've said on here couldn't suggest I think Smith is anything other than brilliant.

Unlike Badge, I think that Matt Smith has been great as the Doctor so far.
So for me it's actually good news that he's returning.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 8 2011, 12:28 AM BST

Unlike Badge, I think that Matt Smith has been great as the Doctor so far.
So for me it's actually good news that he's returning.

:D
Stop bringing laughter into the Who thread, Sunshine! This is a place for serious debate!

(PS Rose = Jagger = Laughing out loud)

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 7 2011, 11:23 PM BST

It's just that most people think their lives are complicated (though not as complicated as people on Doctor Who, of course).

Life like art is better simpler usually. Simple is hard I grant you.

I like complex when it's done well, such as in film noire.

Quote: chipolata @ June 8 2011, 9:18 AM BST

I like complex when it's done well, such as in film noire.

Let me explain what I mean by simple versus complex using Film Noire. Take Casablanca - the setting is the entire second world war... do we see thousands of tanks and marching soldiers and flying killing machines. No we do not. We see one man in a bar struggling with his demons. He has opted out of life cos of a woman. SO the war doesn't affect him. The woman returns and the man has to make a decision. He chooses to get involved. He loses the woman but has found himself and makes a stand now against the Nazis. Simple giving us epic. Keep it focused on the people - that's where the drama ALWAYS lies.

I thang you.

Is Casablanca film noire, Marc? I tend to think more of films like The Maltese Falcon or Chinatown when I hear the term - films with complex plots, almost maze-like at times. Which the hero stumbles through. (Although I get what you're saying!)

Quote: Marc P @ June 8 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Take Casablanca - the setting is the entire second world war... do we see thousands of tanks and marching soldiers and flying killing machines. No we do not. We see one man in a bar struggling with his demons. He has opted out of life cos of a woman. SO the war doesn't affect him. The woman returns and the man has to make a decision. He chooses to get involved. He loses the woman but has found himself and makes a stand now against the Nazis.

Thanks for the spoiler, douchebag.

Quote: Marc P @ June 8 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Let me explain what I mean by simple versus complex using Film Noire. Take Casablanca - the setting is the entire second world war... do we see thousands of tanks and marching soldiers and flying killing machines. No we do not. We see one man in a bar struggling with his demons. He has opted out of life cos of a woman. SO the war doesn't affect him. The woman returns and the man has to make a decision. He chooses to get involved. He loses the woman but has found himself and makes a stand now against the Nazis. Simple giving us epic. Keep it focused on the people - that's where the drama ALWAYS lies.

I thang you.

I don't think you have explained-you've just told us the complicated plot of Casablanca. Besides Doctor Who focuses on the people, at least does now. Do you want to return to the old days when they go to a planet, get chased around, a companion gets captured and then gets rescued? That was simplicity.