British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 754

What was River Songs reaction to meeting Amy for the first/last time
in the Angels two parter?

Didn't she feel sorry for Donna when she met her or have some kind of reaction?

http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/features/river-songs-diary/

No I didn't really want an explanation of the timeline.
What I was really after was .... :D :P

Cheers Nil
:)

Ha! :P

I thought it was a mess, as some people had feared. It wasn't all bad - there were a couple of good gags (Stevie Wonder springs to mind, and the Sontaran nurse) and the River Song reveal was pretty well done even though it doesn't make sense. The dummy baby was a nice twist as well, and I liked the idea that his name could mean something he didn't want. But I was cringing when Moff made Matt Smith do that speech summing up the last series which pretty much exposed what a poor job he's made of his show-running stint. And I can't be the only person who shouted "oh for f**k's sake" at the screen when that bloody pirate turned up.

The worst Moff-penned episode to date.

I do love the title of the next episode though.

Quote: AngieBaby @ June 4 2011, 9:34 PM BST

I thought that was quite unnecessary. Dr Who is a kids program for crying out loud.

I agree. It was unnecessary when RTD did the blow job gag at the end of the Abzorbalof episode, and it was unnecessary here as well. It smacks of self-indulgent writers going "ooh aren't we naughty" to themselves. No you're not, you're like a giggling spotty teenager who's just thumbed his way through the best bits of Lady Chatterley.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:02 PM BST

I do love the title of the next episode though.

We laughed out loud when that appeared on screen, so funny!

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:15 PM BST

River Song reveal was pretty well done even though it doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Quote: AngieBaby @ June 5 2011, 8:16 PM BST

We laughed out loud when that appeared on screen, so funny!

We? Are you watching it with the Duke of Edinburgh now?

I really don't get the hoo-ha over the tongue visual; it was amusing, no kid would have got it, no kid would even have known there was a gag being made. That RTD one, as memory serves, was much more blatant.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2011, 8:19 PM BST

Why doesn't it make sense?

As someone has already pointed out (sorry, haven't checked who) everything has been about her relationship with the Doctor so far. What about her Mum and Dad, eh? Bit inconsistent.

And chew on this one as well. Why the hell does she call herself after a bad translation from someone else's language rather than by her real name?

Surely even the translation should be River Tune as well.

As for the meeting in the wrong order thing, we've gone on about this at length. Suffice to say that you and many people seem to think it makes sense. I beg to differ.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:23 PM BST

As someone has already pointed out (sorry, haven't checked who) everything has been about her relationship with the Doctor so far. What about her Mum and Dad, eh? Bit inconsistent.

Not really, we still don't know how it's all going to play out, let's see, there may be good reason why it's mostly been about her and The Doctor.

I think the tension was very clever.

Tension in most action/scifi comes from asking certain questions.

The classic is "will the Dr prevail?" "will a well loved character die?"

And we know the answer will always be yes and no.

So Moffatt changed the question to, "how will the dr prevail?" and "how will he fail?"

Now waiting for those far more unpredictable answers was to me quite exciting. So when someone says "Dr you've never risen so far."

Boom! it actually genuinely thrilled me. The more succesful he became, the more the tension amped up because something was going to go wrong but what.

Yes it got alot wrong, the enemies were rubbish, Rory's stupid outfit and way too much talking in the last 5minutes.

But this is bold and innovative stuff.

What are you watching next Saturday Matthew? Some of us need our weekly fix!

And chew on this one as well. Why the hell does she call herself after a bad translation from someone else's language rather than by her real name?

Maybe she ends up being brought up there, or living there for a great length of time? We don't know yet how much of a role her real parents will have in her being brought up. Maybe that's why, as that girl who dies mentioned, the Doctor ends up on that planet in the first place.

As for the meeting in the wrong order thing, we've gone on about this at length. Suffice to say that you and many people seem to think it makes sense. I beg to differ.

Well we've all said the same thing about it too many times to bother carrying on with that one.

Well she was taken from them so earlier versions of her may not have known who her parents were.