British Comedy Guide

The Apprentice - Series 7 Page 16

Quote: Marc P @ June 2 2011, 3:44 PM BST

Apparently the Dog team team wanted to call their product Cat Thighs.

:D
I thought I heard them mention Cat Thighs Deeley

And shouldn't it of been- 'See they're light'

As for 'EveryDog' why didn't they add in 'has his day'

Quote: youngian @ June 2 2011, 4:45 PM BST

As for 'EveryDog' why didn't they add in 'has his day'

Shouldn't it 'have' been..?

This task shows how rudimentary most people's understanding of analogy, metaphor, language and symbolism is.

CatSize is a pun on Cat's Eyes, but Cat's Eyes have nothing to do with Cat Food and were not featured on the packaging. The further pun in 'see their/they're light' as well as being excruciating therefore makes no sense at all.

Similarly 'EveryDog has his Day' makes no sense unless the product is called 'His Day'.

What all this demonstrates is the fact that all these 'elite business brains' have understood is that advertising uses puns. They have not understood how it uses them or why, which is worryingly sad.

As shit as CatSize is, the alternative of 'Lucky Fish' is even more f**ked up, as is Jim's other suggestion of 'Fur Play'.

I think fur play was either his lovely Ulster burr

or a demand fork kinky sex

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 3 2011, 1:50 AM BST

What all this demonstrates is the fact that all these 'elite business brains' have understood is that advertising uses puns. They have not understood how it uses them or why, which is worryingly sad.

And watching the aftershow I was surprised how restrained Kelvin MacKenzie was on the subject. If anyone can lay claim to being a professional pun expert it's him.

No it's me!

Quote: youngian @ June 2 2011, 4:45 PM BST

Seriously? You're going to say, "shouldn't it of been...' and then complain about someone else's word use?

Irony aside, I thought it was quite funny when he was trying to explain the 'See their/they're light' wordplay but couldn't understand why the other members asked what spelling he wanted.

A dog food for Elizabethan taxidermists?

"See their lights!"

In defence of these guys, they get literally two days tops on tasks, and about half a day to think up an actual idea. So most of the time they just leap upon the first thing that comes into their heads without thinking it through. Which is what makes it entertaining.

It's also an interesting task because it's essentially the task where Sirlordalunofsugar can arbitraily decide who the losers are just to get rid of some people he doesn't like. Which is probably what happened on this one.

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2011, 9:45 AM BST

In defence of these guys, they get literally two days tops on tasks, and about half a day to think up an actual idea. So most of the time they just leap upon the first thing that comes into their heads without thinking it through. Which is what makes it entertaining.

It's also an interesting task because it's essentially the task where Sirlordalunofsugar can arbitraily decide who the losers are just to get rid of some people he doesn't like. Which is probably what happened on this one.

There is no defence. I used to train sales people and we used to have stupid tasks for people to do. What is important is to display understanding of what it is all about and these muppets never do. They are offering solutions without even attempting to understand what the solutions are addressing. They are schoolchildren playing dress up games and lordsiralansugarlump is complicit and exploitative and it is all very deeply unpleasant.

Quote: Marc P @ June 3 2011, 9:52 AM BST

There is no defence. I used to train sales people and we used to have stupid tasks for people to do. What is important is to display understanding of what it is all about and these muppets never do. They are offering solutions without even attempting to understand what the solutions are addressing. They are schoolchildren playing dress up games and lordsiralansugarlump is complicit and exploitative and it is all very deeply unpleasant.

It's a bit of fun, Marc!

Dunderheadedness + ego = chuckles

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2011, 9:55 AM BST

It's a bit of fun, Marc!

Dunderheadedness + ego = chuckles

Well yeah I know that. But these sad f**kers don't, they think they are onto something if walnutman takes them under his wing. He's taking them alright - but it's not under his wing! >_<

I think I saw Marc P's "Performing double glazing salesmen circus" in 19993

Weren't you banned after that footage of you beating one with a stick was released to the pres?

Quote: Marc P @ June 3 2011, 10:00 AM BST

Well yeah I know that. But these sad f**kers don't, they think they are onto something if walnutman takes them under his wing. He's taking them alright - but it's not under his wing! >_<

But I think it's far less exploitative - or damaging to the contestants - than say Big Brother. I've heard plenty of Big Brother contestants claim that the show ruined their klife, but never an Apprentice one. They all seem to come out the other end quite happy. And a lot actually seem to realise what cololassal knobs they are when they see their footage played back to them.

Quote: sootyj @ June 3 2011, 10:02 AM BST

I think I saw Marc P's "Performing double glazing salesmen circus" in 19993

Weren't you banned after that footage of you beating one with a stick was released to the pres?

I did act with Jimmy Mulville in a telephone sales training thing. I wonder whatever happened to him??