British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 746

The latest episode was okay again, until the last few minutes which genuinely did make the hairs stand up. Though I share the concern that some have expressed for the Doctor's apparent willingness to destroy a sentient being, given what's gone on to that point.

Note that we still don't know exactly what the BCG view of this episode is until we hear from Griff and Kenneth, so we might have a long wait.

I'm looking forward to the mid-season finale, although it does seem to have come upon us quite quick. Hopefully Torchwood will start soon.

As for Who, I'm not sure we've had any massively memorable episodes in this half of the series. The Gaiman one was fun, but hasn't really lingered in the memory to any great extent. Ditto for the clone ones. We certainly haven't had any classic Who's yet.

For me, the opening two parter, and the Gaiman one, have been top notch Who. The other three eps so far have been passable-to-poor.

Although this latest two parter was okay, there really didn't seem enough to it for a two part story.

The opening 2 parter was an entertainingly weird experiment in story telling.

More akin to David Lynch then anything else.

The Clone 2nd half had all the good bits of Old Who with some very good knobs on. And managed to survive the worst child actor ever.

Gaiman's one was lovely and brilliant. And as with so much of his stuff beyond criticism.

Quote: sootyj @ May 31 2011, 10:43 AM BST

The opening 2 parter was an entertainingly weird experiment in story telling. More akin to David Lynch then anything else. The Clone 2nd half had all the good bits of Old Who with some very good knobs on. And managed to survive the worst child actor ever. Gaiman's one was lovely and brilliant. And as with so much of his stuff beyond criticism.

Nothing is beyond criticism, Soot. This isn't Russia under Stalin.

Well you can criticise Neil Gaiman

You can also try to f**k a mountain

The mountain doesn't notice and you look foolish.

Don't be silly, Sooty. The Gaiman episode was fun and interesting but it was also predictable and lacked a real sense of danger or surprise. No artist has a body of work that is completely perfect.

If it lacked danger and surprise, it's because it didn't need them.

Quote: chipolata @ May 31 2011, 9:48 AM BST

As for Who, I'm not sure we've had any massively memorable episodes in this half of the series. ... We certainly haven't had any classic Who's yet.

Fully agree. Under Moff there seem to be fewer complete duds, but practically no classic episodes (and certainly none in this series to date in my opinion). It's disappointing because I expected better. The best episode under Moff is probably still the first one, and maybe then it was down to the fantastic and charismatic new Doctor rather than anything else.

Still, I'm looking forward to next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932

Sounds like a good piece of publicity to me.

Quote: sootyj @ May 31 2011, 11:40 AM BST

If it lacked danger and surprise, it's because it didn't need them.

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ May 31 2011, 11:54 AM BST

Laughing out loud

Yeah I am with that one. Laughing out loud

A gin and tonic doesn't always need Gin - or if it comes to it tonic. Sometimes it is a pineapple.

The Gaiman episode was wonderful stuff, I thought.

Well I wasn't referring to the ep, just to the comment! :)

Clearly the ep wasn't a pineapple.

This is quite interesting. http://grnfldsschool.blogspot.com/2011/05/doctor-who-headmaster-invigorated-by.html

Didn't see the suspenseful twist involving Amy at the end of the episode.
And was that Frances Barber cackling away as the demented dominatrix?