British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 695

Superintendant Chalmers.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:09 PM BST

Cashiers are never tipped. The only people who get tipped are waitresses, bartenders, food delivery people and cabbies. Valets, too.

I was going to tip the Tesco delivery man last Friday, but as mentioned I'm limping around my house and can't move fast. He arrived before the appointed hour so I wasn't ready & despite the fact that he kindly carried evbery thing into the kitchen I couldn't go get a suitable coin without having to make a big fuss so I didn't do anything at all about a tip.

He didn't appear to be expecting a tip.

~~~~~~~~

Taxi driver & Waiters/Waitresses here generally hope for tips, not always given,
bar staff are sometimes tipped in the form of "have a drink on me", but very few others.

Does anyone know the history of tipping, how it came about ?

Those football phone-ins. I listened to talkSPORT after last night's final and you had eejits ringing in saying 'I've played football and I know you've got to xxxxxxxxx' As if you can equate playing for a Sunday league team with the Champions League final (i.e. the highest level of football in the world).

Lying bosses. Apparently there will be no further rounds of redundancy in my departments despite not having got enough volunteers. These will be sourced from elsewhere. At least on of my colleagues is now a nervous wreck at having opted for severance when they didn't want to go and is trying to reclaim their job. Me? I'm going back to ask for a bit more money not to take then to court for misrepresentation.

What f**king idiots.

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2011, 7:58 PM BST

What f**king idiots.

You've met them. :D

Hangovers.

Woke up with an outrageous headache and a mouth like a gypsies armpit. Only took two litres of Lucozade to ease the pain.

Have you ever licked a gypsy's armpit, then? (Maybe I don't really want to know that)

Try Irn Bru, an ancient Scottish remedy.

Irn Bru has certainly helped me acquire a hang-over, but I really don't recommend it as a cure. It's too bubbly, straight-back up for me.

You've obviously been mixing it with something wrong.

Quote: keewik @ May 30 2011, 12:16 AM BST

Have you ever licked a gypsy's armpit, then? (Maybe I don't really want to know that)

Try Irn Bru, an ancient Scottish remedy.

I don't want to offend the Gypsy population here, but I imagine their armpits taste funny. I'm not sure I want to field test this theory though.

Orange Lucozade has got me out of many a pickle, I refuse to cheat on it with the Scotch fizzy broth.

I imagine everybody's armpits taste funny. Oh, gawd, this is a nauseating thought. Thank the gods it's ages since I ate.

I was really surprised at how readily avaulable Irn Bru is in Moscow when I was there last year, but them Ruskies like their vodka, and Irn-Bru is rather nice as a mixture. We have some Peach flavoured Absoltute that is delice with the Auld Eggy-Sheggy!

I noticed 3 bottles of Irn Bru in the ethnic section of my local supermarket last week. I have an Irn Bru t-shirt in my closet and I don't even remember how I got it.

Quote: billwill @ May 29 2011, 5:38 PM BST

Does anyone know the history of tipping, how it came about ?

Billwill, according to The OED, the word tip originated as a slang term, and its etymology is unclear. The term in the sense of "to give a gratuity" first appeared in the 18th century. It derived from an earlier sense of tip, meaning "to give; to hand, pass", which originated in the rogues' can't in the 17th century. This sense may have derived from the 16th-century tip meaning "to strike or hit smartly but lightly" (which may have derived from the Low German tippen, "to tap"), but this derivation is "very uncertain"

Make of that what you will Pleased