British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 692

You're also more likely to be armed and trigger happy?

Quote: Nogget @ May 28 2011, 4:14 PM BST

My supermarket cashiers are instructed to make small-talk, and it's pretty annoying. It doesn't sound sincere, they obviously don't care, and I don't want to hear, yet we have to go through this hideous charade of talking, me out of politeness, and them for fear (I assume) that I might be an insider sent to check on them.

There's a cafe near somewhere I work. It's great and cheap, but the staff from some foreign are so robotically polite they're off putting.

All "hello my dear..." and "take a seat darling..."

Give e some old fashioned English surliness any time,

Tipping bar staff over here usually takes the form of 'have one yourself'.

Instead of actually buying a drink the bar staff put a pound or something in a glass behind the bar for sharing out later.

Not that I ever do that. Bloody beer's dear enough as it is !

I tip the pizza delivery guy and that's it

and that's only cos I don't want him on my doorstep scrabbling around in his pockets for change!

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2011, 5:35 PM BST

You're also more likely to be armed and trigger happy?

:S

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 28 2011, 5:35 PM BST

Not that I ever do that. Bloody beer's dear enough as it is !

I've always found that your beer is comparatively cheaper than ours.

I'm a good (35-50%) tipper and never have to wait when my glass is empty. It's also earned me the attention of a few ladies over the years.

*has visions of DaButt having stacks of computer monitors for when he gets mad at BCGer and blasts the screen*

50% tip? that's madness!

I've had this pistol for more than a year and have yet to fire the thing. Sad excuse for a Texan, right?

Quote: lofthouse @ May 28 2011, 5:37 PM BST

I tip the pizza delivery guy and that's it

and that's only cos I don't want him on my doorstep scrabbling around in mypockets for fun!

Are you sure that's the pizza guy?

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:47 PM BST

I've had this pistol for more than a year and have yet to fire the thing. Sad excuse for a Texan, right?

Not if you've been pistol whipping people?

How do you know it actual works?

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2011, 5:46 PM BST

50% tip? that's madness!

It's only money. I once tipped a bartender $20 after a single beer because she was extraordinarily friendly and efficient. The next time I visited the pub I got a neck rub. ;)

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:45 PM BST

:S

I've always found that your beer is comparatively cheaper than ours.

Then you get ripped off even worse. It's only London where it's expensive really. A pint is often almost two pounds more expensive in London than where I'm from.

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2011, 5:48 PM BST

How do you know it actual works?

I'm quite certain it will go BANG when I want it to.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 5:49 PM BST

Then you get ripped off even worse.

You can always get a cheap 12-ounce Bud or Miller, but a pint of good stuff is typically $5-$6. What's the price of a pint in the UK these days?

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:49 PM BST

It's only money.

Only if you've got it!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 5:49 PM BST

Then you get ripped off even worse. It's only London where it's expensive really. A pint is often almost two pounds more expensive in London than where I'm from.

Beer's expensive in the whole of the UK it's the tax, it's actual quite disruptive for communities where the pub used to be the heart of life.

But london beer prices are insane the closer you get to the middle. Just encourages people to get drunk before they leave home or take advantage of dodgy offers.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:52 PM BST

You can always get a cheap 12-ounce Bud or Miller, but a pint of good stuff is typically $5-$6. What's the price of a pint in the UK these days?

£2.80-£4.50

Wetherspoons often do deals that keep it closer to £2.00 as do some other chains

I found a cheap pub in London where pints were under 2 pounds. Everyone was wearing filthy work attire and the guy next to me smelled of piss but the pints were good.

All told, I think my beer costs me about 75 cents per pint to brew.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:26 PM BST

I think people just like to be friendly. My European friends always seem surprised that people say hello to strangers on the street and things like that.

Depends where you live. Obviously strangers don't say hello in cities, but in villages and towns they do it all the time.

I'd assume that bar staff in touristy parts of London are more than willing to accept tips from unknowing Americans?

I should think so!

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 6:03 PM BST

I found a cheap pub in London where pints were under 2 pounds. Everyone was wearing filthy work attire and the guy next to me smelled of piss but the pints were good.

All told, I think my beer costs me about 75 cents per pint to brew.

Thats either dodgy and they're paying duty

or one of Parliament's members bars