British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 691

My supermarket cashiers are instructed to make small-talk, and it's pretty annoying. It doesn't sound sincere, they obviously don't care, and I don't want to hear, yet we have to go through this hideous charade of talking, me out of politeness, and them for fear (I assume) that I might be an insider sent to check on them.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 4:09 PM BST

You've got to be suspicious about anyone who's too cheery in that sort of a job

I'd be more suspicious of an owner who would allow surly sourpusses to be the "face" of his/her business.

Quote: zooo @ May 28 2011, 4:10 PM BST

Mental. But in quite a fun way.

She's almost as adorable as the little anime-like waif who always asks me, "Free sushi sample, sir?"

Quote: Nogget @ May 28 2011, 4:14 PM BST

My supermarket cashiers are instructed to make small-talk, and it's pretty annoying. It doesn't sound sincere, they obviously don't care, and I don't want to hear, yet we have to go through this hideous charade of talking, me out of politeness, and them for fear (I assume) that I might be an insider sent to check on them.

The only insincerity I've ever observed came from 18-year-old girls who were annoyed that I'd interrupted their flirtation session with the 18-year-old boy who was bagging the groceries. Other than that, I think most people are honestly friendly.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 4:18 PM BST

I'd be more suspicious of an owner who would allow surly sourpusses to be the "face" of his/her business.

You'd never find anyone to employ over here then! I think you Americans are much more adept at putting on a sunny disposition and a can do attitude.

You guys need more sunshine or something.

I don't mind cashiers not smiling or being a bit moody, because they have a shit job and probably hate themselves.

But I do want them to acknowledge my existence. I absolutely hate it when they are having a full blown conversation with another colleague while serving me.

It makes me feel like I'm interfering with their fun.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 28 2011, 4:46 PM BST

I don't mind cashiers not smiling or being a bit moody, because they have a shit job and probably hate themselves.

They should try cashiering in the United States, where they aren't allowed to sit and have to bag the customers' purchases.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 4:53 PM BST

They should try cashiering in the United States, where they aren't allowed to sit and have to bag the customers' purchases.

Now that's customer service :)

They'll also push the cart outside and load the groceries in your car if you'd like. They aren't allowed to accept tips, either.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 4:53 PM BST

I did that when I worked in a shop. That's pretty normal over here too!

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:00 PM BST

They'll also push the cart outside and load the groceries in your car if you'd like. They aren't allowed to accept tips, either.

No one gets bloody tips in England. :)

What do you think the relation might be to general customer service being great in America (where they mostly get tipped) and generally not great over here (where they don't)...

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 4:32 PM BST

You guys need more sunshine or something.

Sunshine bad. Any day it's too hot to wear a coat during is already off to a bad start.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:00 PM BST

They'll also push the cart outside and load the groceries in your car if you'd like.

Too good to carry your own groceries?! ;)

Quote: zooo @ May 28 2011, 5:06 PM BST

What do you think the relation might be to general customer service being great in America (where they mostly get tipped) and generally not great over here (where they don't)...

I had a drink with an American a while back, and when he was about to go to get a round in, he asked how much he should tip the barman. The very idea made my innards implode.

Quote: zooo @ May 28 2011, 5:06 PM BST

Cashiers are never tipped. The only people who get tipped are waitresses, bartenders, food delivery people and cabbies. Valets, too.

I always give barmen tips, like, "Tuck your shirt in" and "make sure them beers is cold"

I care, what can I say?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 5:09 PM BST

Too good to carry your own groceries?!

I think they'd be shocked if anyone other than an old woman or cripple took them up on the offer.

I had a drink with an American a while back, and when he was about to go to get a round in, he asked how much he should tip the barman. The very idea made my innards implode.

I know they aren't tipped, but once I was in a pub in Oxford and decided not to wait for my 5p in change because the place was crowded and the poor guy was swamped with orders. A few minutes later he walked it over to my table. :O

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:09 PM BST

Cashiers are never tipped. The only people who get tipped are waitresses, bartenders, food delivery people and cabbies. Valets, too.

I'm not taking about cashiers specifically. I mean that it must contribute to the country's mindset, generally.
In this country there's no added incentive to be overly nice to people you're serving, whereas there is in America.

Quote: DaButt @ May 28 2011, 5:13 PM BST

I know they aren't tipped, but once I was in a pub in Oxford and decided not to wait for my 5p in change because the place was crowded and the poor guy was swamped with orders. A few minutes later he walked it over to my table. :O

Awww, nice!

I think people just like to be friendly. My European friends always seem surprised that people say hello to strangers on the street and things like that. As a whole, I think Americans are mostly pleased with their lives and aren't as reserved and self-centered as some other cultures. Maybe it's because we haven't been packed together tightly for a thousand years.

Quote: zooo @ May 28 2011, 5:19 PM BST

Awww, nice!

I'd assume that bar staff in touristy parts of London are more than willing to accept tips from unknowing Americans?