British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 739

Quote: Marc P @ May 28 2011, 11:35 AM BST

There is a factory approach at the BBC at the moment, which if it continues will see the end of the BBC Drama and comedy departments. Shows used to celebrate individual voices -even shows like EastEnders - but not really anymore.

Agreed. See my post in the 'deterioration of comedy' thread.

And a sufocating focus on past success

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 28 2011, 12:57 PM BST

Agreed. See my post in the 'deterioration of comedy' thread.

Just looked and couldn't agree more.

Quote: chipolata @ May 28 2011, 8:04 AM BST

or even Moff's silly 973 episode long story-arc,

This confuses me when you say it purely because I know you're a fan of American sci-fi and fantasy; many of which do exactly this. Double standards! A two series long story arc, which is more or less ignored in the majority of episodes for stand alone stories, is hardly terrible.

Quote: Marc P @ May 28 2011, 11:35 AM BST

There is a factory approach at the BBC at the moment, which if it continues will see the end of the BBC Drama and comedy departments. Shows used to celebrate individual voices -even shows like EastEnders - but not really anymore.

I'm pinning all my BBC Drama hopes on Mikey Jackson.

Quote: chipolata @ May 28 2011, 3:38 PM BST

I'm pinning all my BBC Drama hopes on Mikey Jackson.

I think he and Marc P should team up and take over Who!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:40 PM BST

Now you are just being mean Matthew!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:38 PM BST

This confuses me when you say it purely because I know you're a fan of American sci-fi and fantasy; many of which do exactly this. Double standards!

I don't mind long story arcs if the storytelling in individual episodes works. And I think American shows just tell a story better. They understand how to do conflict, jeopardy and pacing.

Quote: chipolata @ May 28 2011, 3:47 PM BST

I don't mind long story arcs if the storytelling in individual episodes works. And I think American shows just tell a story better. They understand how to do conflict, jeopardy and pacing.

So, if that's the case, attack that rather than saying an arc, in and of itself, is silly; because it's clearly not. You just think they're delivering it badly.

If anything, I think, at the moment, the mistake Moffat has made is keeping the arc so much in the background. By making it the focus of the opening two episodes, he set you up to expect more focus on it; where as we've had no new developments or info since. Though apparently we do by the end of tonights.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:40 PM BST

I did just kinda team up with somebody mind. So I am sometimes open to offers :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:50 PM BST

So, if that's the case, attack that rather than saying an arc, in and of itself, is silly; because it's clearly not. You just think they're delivering it badly.

Well, Matthew, if you read the post of mine you selectively quoted on you'll see that I did say that I didn't think the 15546 episode story arc was the problem, rather the storytelling.

Quote: Marc P @ May 28 2011, 3:53 PM BST

I did just kinda team up with somebody mind. So I am sometimes open to offers :)

Are you behind the next Cotter audio sitcom?

Quote: chipolata @ May 28 2011, 3:57 PM BST

Well, Matthew, if you read the post of mine you selectively quoted on you'll see that I did say that I didn't think the 15546 episode story arc was the problem, rather the storytelling.

You've gone on about the long arc in other posts over the past few months, it wasn't in repsonse to just that post.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:59 PM BST

Are you behind the next Cotter audio sitcom?

Nothing quite so grand! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 28 2011, 3:59 PM BST

Are you behind the next Cotter audio sitcom? You've gone on about the long arc in other posts over the past few months, it wasn't in repsonse to just that post.

My real worry on the long arc front is that it won't make sense when it is resolved. Like the end of the last series didn't.

Quote: chipolata @ May 28 2011, 4:05 PM BST

My real worry on the long arc front is that it won't make sense when it is resolved. Like the end of the last series didn't.

Well sure, but that's obviously going to be a worry with any show, having to hope it all makes sense in the end. Even great American shows with long arcs, like Battlestar and Lost, really kind of messed up to a degree in the end as they'd set up too much stuff they never had a clue how to end; so either ducked out of even trying, or went for something rubbish.