British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 133

You'd be surprised. Most tutors are very busy hunting round for marks to push students over boundaries into the next class. I tell my lot this every year and they never seem to believe me but we don't actually want to fail people. Some students are convinced that their tutors are out of get them. In reality, we're not. We probably don't know who most of them are on really big courses!

Love Me by Garrison Keillor. I know he has his haters (Griff of UK might be one?) but I like him. He is funny looking, though.

Shakespeare - The Truth by Patrick Barlow

breath taking!

I am reading a biography of 'I'm Sorry I haven't a clue'. Goes right back to the 60's with great insight into the early careers of Goodies TBT, GG, BO and JC to name a few.

Just finished 'Solar' by Ian McEwan. wouldn't much recommend it. Is there something going on nowadays whereby the central character has to be a totally unlikeable arse? Then there was the overkill of scientific stuff.
Now started 'Austerlitz' which seems to begin with a dissertation about architecture. I just want to escape, for goodness sake!

Oooh I've studied some bits about Austerlitz. Meant to be quite good, if dense to get through.

I only read comedy related bookage

but would like some really good sci-fi novels if anyone can recommend some

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 27 2011, 9:25 PM BST

Oooh I've studied some bits about Austerlitz. Meant to be quite good, if dense to get through.

The text is quite big so easy to read but one problem I have is that there are no paragraphs - just solid text. No chapters so not easy to see where you've left off. I think I'm getting used to it.

It's meant to be similar to Proust's "A la recherche du temps perdu", right?

I didn't know that but funnily enough I was thinking that today. Have to admit I cheated many years ago by reading the translation ( though still have the French version in the bookcase).

Still on 'Austerlitz'. Have just read a sentence which lasts from page 331 to page 342. Pretentious crap, I think.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Verrry good so far!

Ah, I started reading that, but then the uni library demanded it back. Must finish it some day!

I read about 70 pages this morning. I would have read more today, but I have a fuzzy head/nose/eyes.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 27 2011, 9:14 PM BST

Shakespeare - The Truth by Patrick Barlow

breath taking!

I like books about Big Willy, whats this one about?