British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 730

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 9:44 AM BST

I suppose it's just a matter of degree. I take your point that whether you're writing sci-fi or a hospital soap you still have to set up and explain your A plot, B plot etc, whether that's disease-of-the-week or monster-of-the-week, I just think that if you've landed the TARDIS in a parallel universe where everything is topsy-turvy, you have a bit more explaining to do. But maybe explaining the rules of universe of the week is no different from explaining the rules of disease of the week. Not that storytelling is all about explaining. But you know what I mean. Perhaps I'm coming round to Marc's point of view.

I was surprised you took that view in the first place. And surely far from being a burden, a new world each week is an incredible opportunity.

Another week, another Who, another ho-hum. I mean, just a whole load of *meh*.

Matt Smith, depsite his Bafta nod, just isn't a very convincing Doctor. Whether that's his fault or the scripts, it's hard to tell. Maybe it needs to be axed again.

But then what children's TV show would the BCG becomes obsessed with and analyse with Paxman like ferocity? You've not thought this through John. *shakes head sadly*

Quote: chipolata @ May 23 2011, 9:46 AM BST

I can't believe it's over in two weeks. We're just getting into our stride working out what Moff and his cronies are doing wrong then the show vanishes.

Rolling eyes

Quote: chipolata @ May 23 2011, 9:50 AM BST

I was surprised you took that view in the first place. And surely far from being a burden, a new world each week is an incredible opportunity.

You used the word burden. It's a challenge, a different challenge to a lot of other shows, that's all anyone has said. I'm not sure why there's even an argument about this.

Quote: Rob H @ May 23 2011, 9:59 AM BST

But then what children's TV show would the BCG becomes obsessed with and analyse with Paxman like ferocity? You've not thought this through John. *shakes head sadly*

Is Bod still going?

Quote: Marc P @ May 23 2011, 9:44 AM BST

Well true! :( But I raise you a Love Soup.

I think Firefly was better than the New Who at the moment and I am wondering if that was just down to the money? Firefly was stonking though so maybe an unfair comparison, but they're a lot of similarities between the two shows.

Firefly was very good;though it only went for a very short run.

(Love Soup didn't do much for me, but I only watched the first series with the awful American comedy writer character)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 10:02 AM BST

You used the word burden. It's a challenge, a different challenge to a lot of other shows, that's all anyone has said. I'm not sure why there's even an argument about this.

Because it's an excuse apologists flag up for why Who isn't better.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 10:06 AM BST

Firefly was very good;though it only went for a very short run.

(Love Soup didn't do much for me, but I only watched the first series with the awful American comedy writer character)

Well I think it had a run of twelve or thirteen eps, which is similar I suppose. And when it was cancelled the fans got a film made which was rather cool. But there was a lot of the Doctor Who about it, apart from the time stuff.

I didn't see the first series of Love Soup!! Which is bad of me.

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 10:06 AM BST

*goes back to writing sketches for half-empty comedy venues*

Only half empty? You lucky bastard!

Quote: chipolata @ May 23 2011, 10:11 AM BST

Because it's an excuse apologists flag up for why Who isn't better.

Apologists, don't be an arse. I'm not apologising for it not being 'better'; I enjoy the show, but of course there's a different sort of challenge to writing Who to many other shows.

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 10:51 AM BST

Chip's inflammatory posts do make me laugh.

I know he's just trying to get a reaction, but I still answer them anyway. I have an illness.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 10:52 AM BST

I know he's just trying to get a reaction, but I still answer them anyway. I have an illness.

You should probably see a Doctor... >_<

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 10:05 AM BST

Imagine if we had to fall back on discussing Primeval.

No one discusses Primeval, you grunt and hurl faeces at the telly.

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 10:51 AM BST

Chip's inflammatory posts

:O

A libel, sir!

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2011, 11:19 AM BST

No one discusses Primeval, you grunt and hurl faeces at the telly.

Isn't there a new series of Primeval starting soon? I hope so.