British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 729

Quote: Marc P @ May 22 2011, 10:54 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Really Marc, there's no need to mock someones opinion like that.

Quote: Griff @ May 22 2011, 10:58 PM BST

Really Marc you don't think it's more difficult to setup a story like Blink, where nobody has ever seen anything like it, than an episode of Minder where everyone knows it's going to be another trawl round pubs and lockups flogging stolen cars and having punchups with villains?

Not saying it shouldn't be possible to excel at both in the 45 minutes (otherwise you shouldn't be writing for TV I guess) but surely someone writing in a familiar setting with familiar characters has at least a slightly easier task explaining what's going on? (Not saying that the writing overall is easier for one or the other - both writers have to surprise and entertain etc in equal measure obviously.)

All of this.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 9:08 AM BST

All of this.

I wasn't mocking the opinion, just found it amusing that you were agreeing that some of the emotional stuff wasn't done too well but the ladies would like it!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 9:08 AM BST

All of this.

Well - answered above. :)

Quote: Marc P @ May 23 2011, 9:11 AM BST

Well - answered above. :)

Yeah, I read your answer; but I think the points Griff made (and myself earlier) still stand.

Which points?

Quote: Marc P @ May 23 2011, 9:22 AM BST

Which points?

Have a look at Griff's post; I'm not typing it all out again! :D

I think what was said there seems reasonable. Obviously you don't agree though.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 23 2011, 2:26 AM BST

I've watched the episode twice and I still have no opinion of it.

I've seen it twice as well and was most struck by the actual use of Rory as a character. More interesting than Pond.

Lol, I was trying to avoid that :)

It was the bit about creating a whole new world I was challenging, Granted it is a new setting but the main world of WHO is what we know already. Him, her, her's husband, the Tardis etc etc. So it's a new adventure each week but not really a whole new world from scratch. Plus Griff picked another Verity Lambert show to compare against WHO - which I found amusing! And I would love to see one of Verity L's stars write a WHO as I mentioned before - Davis Renwick!

Quote: Griff @ May 23 2011, 9:29 AM BST

*adds KLRiley to list*

I'm a regular? Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. :)

Quote: KLRiley @ May 23 2011, 9:31 AM BST

I'm a regular? Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. :)

Don't tell him your name Riley!

Quote: Griff @ May 22 2011, 11:59 PM BST

Kenneth.

I don't think we need to actually read his opinion to know what it will most likely be! :D

Quote: Marc P @ May 23 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Davis Renwick!

As long as he wasn't in the form he's been on the last few Creek's!

Quote: Marc P @ May 23 2011, 9:31 AM BST

Don't tell him your name Riley!

Course not Captain Mainwaring.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2011, 9:33 AM BST

I don't think we need to actually read his opinion to know what it will most likely be! :D

As long as he wasn't in the form he's been on the last few Creek's!

Well true! :( But I raise you a Love Soup.

I think Firefly was better than the New Who at the moment and I am wondering if that was just down to the money? Firefly was stonking though so maybe an unfair comparison, but they're a lot of similarities between the two shows.

Yeah I take your point Griff, that's why sometimes keeping it smaller is better I guess.

I can't believe it's over in two weeks. We're just getting into our stride working out what Moff and his cronies are doing wrong then the show vanishes.

The other thing about the disease of the week - unless it is House of course is that it should never be about that just a device for a story about people. It was certainly the case before Holby went Soap and Doctors more soap than it used to be.