British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 728

Who is like Kirk to our Kahn Noonian Sing.

It tests us and we will have it!

Quote: chipolata @ May 22 2011, 9:40 PM BST

Make Who better and we won't have to complain.

Come on now, I have every faith you'll always find something to complain about.

Stott when you writing an episode>'

Quote: sootyj @ May 22 2011, 9:42 PM BST

Stott when you writing an episode>'

This time next never I imagine.

Quote: Griff @ May 22 2011, 9:43 PM BST

I think Matthew already sent one in to Big Finish for that contest, the same as the rest of us did?

I did send one, though it was just a treatment thing, wasn't it??

Oh, and two pages of script.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2011, 9:41 PM BST

Come on now, I have every faith you'll always find something to complain about.

Not at all. If I like something on Who I'll say so. I just wish I had the chance more often.

Quote: chipolata @ May 22 2011, 9:45 PM BST

Not at all. If I like something on Who I'll say so.

I wish I could believe you. :(

Quote: Griff @ May 22 2011, 9:46 PM BST

Yep that sounds about right.

I realised that the end point of mine should actually have been a turning point for around the episodes halfway mark. I've turned it into its own thing now, so at least the story hasn't gone to waste.

I really liked the episode.
Apart from the unneccesary long neck thing.
It was paced nicely with a sinister undertone and a terrific cliffhanger

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2011, 8:55 PM BST

To be fair it must have got this right to some extent for some viewers, as I dare say it's partly this element that has helped attract more of a female following.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2011, 9:07 PM BST

SThe point we were talking about is having to build a whole new world and tell a full, satisfying story week after week in only forty five minutes; most films get at least an hour and a half.

I thought you didn't want lessons in drama Matthew? ;) The world is the world of WHO only the location changes. And if it drama isn't about human experience it isn't about anything. All Alien experience stories are metaphors for the human condition or they are simply not very good - see giant wasps in libraries, fat creatures and nannies and etc etc... :)

Quote: Griff @ May 22 2011, 10:58 PM BST

Really Marc you don't think it's more difficult to setup a story like Blink where nobody has ever seen anything like it, than an episode of Minder where everyone knows it's another trawl round pubs and lockups flogging stolen cars?

Early Minder was a great show and yes the expectation was there to deliver the goods and they did it very well indeed because they has some great writers, editors, producers and cared. Bear in mind Griff the producer of Minders was one Verity Lambert who produced the original series of WHO!. And BLINK was a great episode, what it did was cross genres as Moffat does - the horror lying in the familiar rather than the monster. What he did was create a great narrative - he didn't have to reinvent the world of WHO. And I preferred The Empty Child to Blink - although I did think the Sally Sparrow(?) photographer character would have made a great companion!

:) True, true and then it went later years into Who with question mark umbrella territory. :(

I don't think Who struggles to establish worlds, more that it doesn't do anything massively interesting in them once it's done so.

Better than last week. Getting more bored with companions though. Living plastic was quite a nice idea. On a technical level most the effects/CG sets were dreadful. But I suppose saving budget for the end.

I've watched the episode twice and I still have no opinion of it.

This current Timelord, what's his motivation?