British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 131

I'm about 80 pages into The Great Gatsby. I did find it a little slow to start, but with Gatsby's appearence it appears to have got a bit more interesting.

I've also got Women by Bukowski to read which I'm really looking forward to. Then I must get round to those two William Boyd books which are collecting dust on my bookshelf.

I put off buying it for ages. Then I saw it in the library and thought "Ah! Free book!".

Quote: Griff @ May 18 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Gatsby is one of those books I'm a bit embarrassed not to have read. And yes I know it's ridiculous to think like that about books.

There is a book coming out next month where, ahem. people discuss a book written by FSF as a favourite book and it is certainly one of mine. One of those weird coincidences in life.

Quote: Griff @ May 18 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Gatsby is one of those books I'm a bit embarrassed not to have read. And yes I know it's ridiculous to think like that about books.

<3 I love that book. I am sure most people here know that. I studied it for, I think AS level? and it sparked my love of Fitzgerald's work. You should really try to read it, and not watch a film version first, because its prose is so amazing.

Quote: Marc P @ May 18 2011, 10:50 PM BST

There is a book coming out next month where, ahem. people discuss a book written by FSF as a favourite book and it is certainly one of mine. One of those weird coincidences in life.

Oooh. I will have to maybe pick that up for my dissertation research.

Quote: Marc P @ May 18 2011, 10:50 PM BST

Perhaps Jack Delaney could get to the bottom of it?

I haven't got the third book yet, Mark (sic). I will one day.

Tender is the Night

Stonking.

Quote: Ben @ May 18 2011, 10:52 PM BST

Perhaps Jack Delaney could get to the bottom of it?

I haven't got the third book yet, Mark (sic). I will one day.

He's not in it lol.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 18 2011, 10:51 PM BST

Noooo, for goodness sake you want to pass! :)

Quote: Marc P @ May 18 2011, 10:53 PM BST

Tender is the Night

Stonking.

I'm using that one for my essay!

Quote: Marc P @ May 18 2011, 10:54 PM BST

Noooo, for goodness sake you want to pass! :)

Rolling eyes

The film versions of Gatsby haven't been great. Although Baz Lurhman is directing another for next year.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 18 2011, 10:51 PM BST

Oh go on then ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-London-James-Patterson/dp/1846058317

Quote: chipolata @ May 18 2011, 10:58 PM BST

The film versions of Gatsby haven't been great. Although Baz Lurhman is directing another for next year.

In 3D...

Quote: Marc P @ May 18 2011, 10:59 PM BST

Oh go on then ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-London-James-Patterson/dp/1846058317

Are the words he wrote in blue and yours in red?

Quote: Griff @ May 18 2011, 10:55 PM BST

Maybe we should do a confessional thread 'I've Never Read...'

I realised long ago that the list of books I should read was always going to be longer than the list of books I have read, after which I stopped feeling guilty and mostly read Terry Pratchett.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2011, 11:14 PM BST

Are the words he wrote in blue and yours in red?

:D

Quote: chipolata @ May 18 2011, 10:58 PM BST

Great. 'Gatsby - The Musical' :(

I hope those critics who elevated the desperately contrived and mediocre Strictly Ballroom to global attention - and hence helped inflict yet more Lurhman upon the world - are happy now. Well, are you? Are you happy now? Angry