British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 715

Well I liked that episode.

The only disappointing thing about it was that it should have been a two-parter.

Exploring the Doctor's relationship with the TARDIS like that was a fantastic idea and I loved the fact that the TARDIS thinks she convinced the Doctor to steal her to escape from storage. More time to see the TARDIS's take on DW canon & mythology would have been fun.

I also quite liked the Amy and Rory stuff in the possessed TARDIS - it was a nice glimpse at the power of the TARDIS and what an evil one could be like. That could have stood a bit more exploration too.

Good episode. One of the best since Moff took over.

One slight quibble, which I don't know if anybody else has brought up, but...

During both the episode and subsequent Confidential, an issue was made of the fact that the Doctor has always ignored the legend 'Pull To Open' on the front of the Tardis/Police Box and pushed it instead.

I'd always assumed this instruction referred to the cubby hole containing the emergency police phone, as seen being used in the Empty Child episode, which has, indeed, been pulled to open?

Did Mr Gaiman make a basic error that the team were too scared to correct?

Or am I wrong? It does happen.

More a waggish intertextual quip.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2011, 11:43 AM BST

More a waggish intertextual quip.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: sootyj @ May 15 2011, 6:17 PM BST

As opposed to the bountiful treasure trove of scifi ideas in old Who?

All scifi plays in the same limited dressing up box.

That this episode uses so many ideas with such verve is why again New Who proves it's a tragedy Old Who wasn't entirely wiped and replaced by Bill and Ben.

I guess you're on drugs. There aren't actually any ideas here at all unless you think Harry Potter is full of ideas. The Tardis communicates telepathically with Rory? The Doctor builds a stripped-down Tardis console to go after the real Tardis - not bad - then can't make it work until the Idris Tardis licks her finger and squirts an energy beam into it? Then Deus Ex machina-like she re-inserts herself ectoplasmically back into the actual Tardis and expels 'House' just when he's decided to kill everyone after talking about it a lot.

These magical/fantasy elements degrade the show to a huge degree. They make anything possible, robbing the programme of tension and making the viewer completely passive. It's as if the butler did it at the end of an Agatha Christie mystery when there wasn't even a butler in the story.

You often dig away at old Who - a lot of it is bollocks for sure, but it's also 40 years old. It had plenty of verve at the time.

Quote: Badge @ May 15 2011, 9:01 PM BST

Balls to the lot of you. This was lame-o average New Who. I guess people like it more because it's a name writer. It was flawed but okay. Godot won't like it of course but he doesn't like New Who anyway. I do. Under Moff the sad story is it has deteriorated. Notwithstanding the potential of great episodes to come, but even if that happens there is a lousy mid season break to kill any momentum.

I do like new Who - seriously I wouldn't watch it if I didn't like it. I think Blink was excellent - and Midnight - and I was one of the first to praise the casting of Matt Smith when we actually saw him do his thing.

Badge is right though, that he hasn't delivered as show controller. We can all deny it if we want, but all he's done is write the season as if it was one big episode, which is introducing viewer fatigue and alienating the casual viewer. You lot don't care about the non-fans who watch, but they are crucial to the show's success.

The mid-season break is more worrying - as is the preponderance of two-parters - and starting the series with a two parter (an obvious indicator of a weak line-up). It suggests that Moffat has a very elaborate denouement planned that he is going to eke out with arse-numbing portentousness over the remainder of the year. The other possibility is that he couldn't get the scripts together in time - equally disquieting.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 16 2011, 6:51 PM BST

all he's done is write the season as if it was one big episode,

The last two episodes have worked as stand alones. with only scant reference to the 'arc'; just as earlier series of New-Who.

the preponderance of two-parters -

I don't think there are any more two parters than previous series, we just started with one, unlike previous years.

starting the series with a two parter (an obvious indicator of a weak line-up).

No it's not, it's just, well, why not? Rather than stick to the same format as every previous year, they decided to try something else for the opener, something other than a stand alone 'romp'.

IThe mid-season break is more worrying - The other possibility is that he couldn't get the scripts together in time - equally disquieting.

Again, they just wanted to try something different as they felt last year there was a mid-series lull, as it became 'just another episode', perhaps people wouldn't worry about missing it. They wanted more 'event episodes', and having a mid-series cliffhanger was the idea they came up with, then a short break to hopefully build expectation and have viewers eager to tune back in when it returned.

The mid season break might be a response to the fact that viewing figures traditionally dip during the peak summer months. And who's to say it's even a Moff decision. It may have been 'suggested' to him by someone higher up the BBC foodchain.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2011, 7:26 PM BST

I presume you must as you watch it, but you most certainly dislike, with a passion, a lot more of the episodes than you like. Or at least that's the impression you give.

I would never attempt to put words in GT's mouth but it is really disappointing when something could be so good that oftimes (probably for behind the scenes reasons) it is not quite as good as it deserves to be. Television is looked on as disposable entertainment nowadays which it probably always was - but it didn't use to be in an era when by it's very nature it was disposed as broadcast! Perversely in an era when preservation is not only possible - but easily possible - the mindset of the people in charge (and I don't mean Moff) take the view that it is.

Quote: chipolata @ May 16 2011, 7:33 PM BST

The mid season break might be a response to the fact that viewing figures traditionally dip during the peak summer months. And who's to say it's even a Moff decision. It may have been 'suggested' to him by someone higher up the BBC foodchain.

Very possible.

I do like new Who - seriously I wouldn't watch it if I didn't like it. I think Blink was excellent - and Midnight - and I was one of the first to praise the casting of Matt Smith when we actually saw him do his thing.

Apologies - I stand corrected.

Re the mid-season break, I'm with Godot. I suspect it's to do with delivering the scripts in time.

Again, they just wanted to try something different as they felt last year there was a mid-series lull, as it became 'just another episode', perhaps people wouldn't worry about missing it. They wanted more 'event episodes', and having a mid-series cliffhanger was the idea they came up with, then a short break to hopefully build expectation and have viewers eager to tune back in when it returned.

Well, they would say that wouldn't they?

None of us really knows the reason, though. But personally, I think it's a stupid idea. The reason the last series had a lull was because the stories weren't good enough (especially that Silurian nonsense).

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2011, 8:00 PM BST

Re the mid-season break, I'm with Godot. I suspect it's to do with delivering the scripts in time.

Who has been going steady for six years, why would they suddenly not be able to get some scripts together now? It may end up being a mistake, it may not.

The reason the last series had a lull was because the stories weren't good enough (especially that Silurian nonsense).

I think most of the series have gone into a viewer lull half way through. By which I mean figures trailed off mid-way.

Apologies - I stand corrected. Re the mid-season break, I'm with Godot. I suspect it's to do with delivering the scripts in time. Well, they would say that wouldn't they? None of us really knows the reason, though. But personally, I think it's a stupid idea. The reason the last series had a lull was because the stories weren't good enough (especially that Silurian nonsense).

Have you ever watched New Who? I doubt the scripts take that long to finish.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2011, 8:04 PM BST

I think most of the series have gone into a viewer lull half way through. By which I mean figures trailed off mid-way.

So it's a ratings lull now? That isn't what you said earlier, it's what Chip said.

Quote: chipolata @ May 16 2011, 8:06 PM BST

Have you ever watched New Who? I doubt the scripts take that long to finish.

:D
Are they all finished?

(PS I really really like New Who)

Quote: Badge @ May 16 2011, 8:07 PM BST

So it's a ratings lull now? That isn't what you said earlier, it's what Chip said.

No, it's what we both said.