British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 3,703

You and your heroin addiction!

Recovering from yesterday's epic crawfish boil. My head is aching and my guts are in pain after consuming mass quantities of crawfish, sausage, red beans & rice, scallops, corn, potatoes, brisket and beer.

I think I'll head over and help the neighbors polish off the leftovers.

Quote: JoLaw @ May 15 2011, 5:26 PM BST

http://www.hymenshop.com/

and the other one this: http://www.therandomshop.co.uk/index.php?

Those chilli's are very expensive :O

I can imagine someone having to buy 1 hymen, but I'm surprised to see them in packs of 5.

Quote: DaButt @ May 15 2011, 7:26 PM BST

Recovering from yesterday's epic crawfish boil. My head is aching and my guts are in pain after consuming mass quantities of crawfish, sausage, red beans & rice, scallops, corn, potatoes, brisket and beer.

I think I'll head over and help the neighbors polish off the leftovers.

I want to try crawfish, looks yummy, but maybe a bit fiddly?.

Quote: AngieBaby @ May 15 2011, 7:47 PM BST

want to try crawfish, looks yummy, but maybe a bit fiddly?.

There's definitely some work involved but it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LM_pCLPl0

Hell yeah, we take our clenliness very seriously - that's why I've just pulled out a yo-yo from the washing machine. Eh?

Gig tonight prompted a new blog post. First in aaaaages.

"A case of comedic misogyny?"

I wasn't there, Nat, but I don't really see any strong evidence to support that statement from the rest of what you've written on your blog about the gig. Was there anything else that led you to this opinion? If you'd had a really brilliant reception from the audience would you feel differently about the MC perhaps? I remember from my days on the London circuit feeling patronised by the bar staff, never mind the MCs! Their club, their rules, as a new act you're nobody - that's the way I looked at it. Plus, resident comedy MCs have egos as large as (if not larger than) any other comic. It's their territory and they often don't want anyone to shine other than themselves (no matter how poor they actually are when on stage).

Glad the stand-up is generally going well, btw. :)

I think I've made a fair and honest representation of the night, and I was open about the possible interpretations (comedic misogyny being one of three). It's difficult to get a read on situations sometimes, and of course I can only go on how I felt and what other people said to me.

I slightly played down how my set went as to avoid sounding like a gig. I did pretty well.

Well done on the gig Nat, though I admit I was with Tim insofar as your blog didn't actually demonstrate a massive problem (so I wondered if something else happened unreported). One thing your blog doesn't do though is hide the city as well as you suggest.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ May 16 2011, 1:13 AM BST

I did pretty well.

Good stuff. :)

As I say, resident MCs in regional comedy clubs often feel vulnerable to outsiders. New act nights tend to give them licence to feel they can swing their big dick around. Maybe there was a latent element of misogyny about it - maybe he felt the one person he can't be seen to be less funny than is "the female"? His problem, not yours.

Ooooh you're right, I just realised I referenced the service station! *runs off*

Oooh Tim you cheeky post editor! Thanks though :)

Great blog Nat. I can understand why you felt patronised but also I think you did get some respect with the thanks and about going on second. It was probably the introduction that did it...

My introduction was approximately: 'Next is Nat Wicks, lets see how funny she is." I got to the mic, thanked him for his "vote of f**king confidence".

I thought that was excellent - I could imagine him thinking, "OK, I'll give you that one." :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 16 2011, 1:17 AM BST

Good stuff. :)

As I say, resident MCs in regional comedy clubs often feel vulnerable to outsiders. New act nights tend to give them licence to feel they can swing their big dick around. Maybe there was a latent element of misogyny about it - maybe he felt the one person he can't be seen to be less funny than is "the female"? His problem, not yours.

Whistling nnocently Why where you in charge there?...

I think it was a good idea to reference the fact that he'd been a twat. I've seen you improvising on stage a couple of times now and it's always really good, so I can imagine that going down well.

How did Howard and Lee interpret it?

Lee the same way I did. Howard I think just thought he was a dick.