British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 714

The Ood look a little like Morpheuses mask?

Plus I think he has a thing for villains in suits.

Quote: Griff @ May 15 2011, 8:17 PM BST

Now it's time once more to wonder... What did Lawrence Miles think of it?

http://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/

Oh. He didn't like it.

I do however approve of this bit he wrote about Day Of The Moon:

FOURTH DOCTOR: To exterminate a life-form... to know that just by touching two wires together, I have the power of life and death over an entire species... do I have that right?

ELEVENTH DOCTOR: Yes! Duh: how are you going to look cool when you're agonizing about stuff? In fact, not only should you broadcast an order to commit genocide against creepy-looking aliens, you should turn your sonic screwdriver into a gun so that you can help your love-interest slaughter as many of them as possible on the way out. Then, once she's good and hot from all the killing, cop off with her while dramatic music plays in the background and the viewers cheer like the shit-eating battery animals we all know they are. Haven't you seen any action movies? Get with the programme, granddad!

To be absolutely fair, he's completely ignoring the fact The Doctor has been responsible for death on a huge scale, and genocide, during the original series. But you know, that would ruin his gag!
:D

Quote: Griff @ May 15 2011, 8:18 PM BST

I assumed that bit was all inside Amy's head. Otherwise how come he didn't starve to death after 2000 years?

I thought it probably was too, I just thought the guy who plays Rory did it really well. No bumbling, proper scary rage.

Quote: Griff @ May 15 2011, 8:28 PM BST

I did find myself wearying at the audio onslaught during this episode, not just the overwrought music but relentless sound FX at top volume drowning out the dialogue. Oh for the old days when the only accompaniment was a small child playing a xylophone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3c7GT63SxU

:D

I've always enjoyed the electronic 'farting' in that one.

Lawrence Miles just dissed the "i know" line from Empire Strikes Back.

He's the Melanie Phillips of scifi wonks.

Balls to the lot of you. This was lame-o average New Who. I guess people like it more because it's a name writer. It was flawed but okay. Godot won't like it of course but he doesn't like New Who anyway. I do. Under Moff the sad story is it has deteriorated. Notwithstanding the potential of great episodes to come, but even if that happens there is a lousy mid season break to kill any momentum.

Quote: Badge @ May 15 2011, 9:01 PM BST

Under Moff the sad story is it has deteriorated.

Do you really think that? I know last series had it's problems, but I don't remember constant raves on here for RTD's years either.

Quote: Badge @ May 15 2011, 9:01 PM BST

Balls to the lot of you. This was lame-o average New Who. I guess people like it more because it's a name writer. It was flawed but okay. Godot won't like it of course but he doesn't like New Who anyway. I do. Under Moff the sad story is it has deteriorated. Notwithstanding the potential of great episodes to come, but even if that happens there is a lousy mid season break to kill any momentum.

It's the red Badge of courage!

There was certainly some slightly embarassing Gaiman puppy love on here, but it was still an enjoyable episode. Probably the best of this series so far.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 9:56 PM BST

There was certainly some slightly embarassing Gaiman puppy love on here,

I'm not sure there was much. Well, pre-broadcast there was certainly a lot of hopeful expectation that a great fantasy writer was actually on Who, which is understandable.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 9:56 PM BST

There was certainly some slightly embarassing Gaiman puppy love on here, but it was still an enjoyable episode. Probably the best of this series so far.

No embarassment he's a genius and it's a privillege to watch his creations.

How cold and dark it must be to live in an oubliette of your cynisim Chip.

How cold and dark.

I don't take much notice of who writes each episode.
It's only from this thread that I became aware of which episodes were written by RTD or Moffat.
Oh and that one by Gatiss

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 9:16 PM BST

Do you really think that? I know last series had it's problems, but I don't remember constant raves on here for RTD's years either.

'Fraid so. I think I said so after the last series, but from memory it was along the lines of RTD's first three series being really good and his fourth being fairly ropey. The specials (of all kinds) speak for themselves if you take special to mean the opposite. But despite an excellent start and the best Doctor ever in Matt Smith (seriously, and again I mentioned this on this thread) the last series didn't satisfy as a coherent whole. Now this one isn't working for me so far either. The evidence is that Moff can't do 13 episode series as well as RTD, because {a) he hasn't done as well as RTD's first three efforts at least, in his first go; and (b) he has given up attempting it by making it into a 7/6 split series. In the old days this sort of schedule/series tinkering used to be called "trying to kill the programme off". I don't think they are trying to do it this time, but it does beg the question why they are doing it.

Quote: Griff @ May 15 2011, 9:52 PM BST

You mean like we did with the Richard Curtis one?

Be careful using the word "we", Griff. :)

With no Doctor Who and no Big Brother over the summer we're going to have precious little to talk about on here.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 11:21 PM BST

With no Doctor Who and no Big Brother over the summer we're going to have precious little to talk about on here.

Can't you pick up Five on your TV Chip? BB is alive, if not well.

I think it's only the short Celebrity BB over the summer. The proper BB is at the end of the year.