British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 713

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2011, 11:21 AM BST

The corridors reminded me a bit of the Old Avengers?

The only old Avengers episode I remember is A Touch Of Brimstone. I don't know why that one sticks in my mind. Whistling nnocently

Laughing out loud

I don't remember much just clips, but they seemed to have trippy eps with corridors and traps in floors.

I tried to get Diana Rigg once for an Ep of Doctors, but she was in a play so we went for Sarah Douglas instead. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gygrl

Some sort of hidden message you had to find by following some clues. (I didn't, I just clicked someone elses link who'd already found it!)

It may of course end up not being anything to do with the series itself.

I see he is to be fighting the Gangers next. Let's hope there are not two of them or the audience won't know who to root for! :)

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2011, 12:58 PM BST

I see he is to be fighting the Gangers next. Let's hope there are not two of them or the audience won't know who to root for! :)

:D

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 15 2011, 10:09 AM BST

They're decided to anthropomorphisise the Tardis now!? Blimey, those Who people have obviously run out of ideas.

Well said. Of course 'run out' implies that there was once a supply.

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2011, 12:53 PM BST

I tried to get Diana Rigg once for an Ep of Doctors, but she was in a play so we went for Sarah Douglas instead. :)

Have you ever seen The Hospital (1971), a US satirical black comedy written by (a seriously great writer) Paddy Chayevsky, where Diana Rigg starred opposite George C Scott? I tracked it down recently and both she and Scott give really great performances. A largely-forgotten little gem from the 70s. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 15 2011, 10:09 AM BST

They're decided to anthropomorphisise the Tardis now!? Blimey, those Who people have obviously run out of ideas.

The Tardis has always been sentient, this just explored it in a very direct way.

I missed this at the time but it's a pretty good summation of Doctor Who's problems, and valid now even though he was talking about the RTD years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/tvandradioblog/2010/may/04/terry-pratchett-ludicrous-doctor-who

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 6:01 PM BST

I missed this at the time but it's a pretty good summation of Doctor Who's problems,

If you agree that it has a pile problems, of course...

Having read that again (read it at the time), it seems that really what he's miffed about is the terminology. He thinks it's too much fantasy and magic to be properly described as Science Fiction. He thinks it should be termed Science Fantasy. Which is fair enough.

And the deification of The Doctor was certainly heavy handed under RTD, he's right, but seems to have been peddled back a lot under Moffat.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 15 2011, 2:43 PM BST

Well said. Of course 'run out' implies that there was once a supply.

As opposed to the bountiful treasure trove of scifi ideas in old Who?

All scifi plays in the same limited dressing up box.

That this episode uses so many ideas with such verve is why again New Who proves it's a tragedy Old Who wasn't entirely wiped and replaced by Bill and Ben.

N.B. the story is in many ways a rip off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Rocket

from Futurama (which took the idea further)

but it still unique and excelent

Quote: sootyj @ May 15 2011, 6:17 PM BST

N.B. the story is in many ways a rip off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Rocket

:P

Hey stick that tongue back I'm just being honest.

Moya in Farscape had a baby with a humungous cannon, the dirty sentient, single parent bint!

Living space ships are classic ideas. It's the approach, relationship, that they return to pilot and silent ship. That make this episode unique.

Alan Moore's famous version of this classic story line, though this one might fit quite comfortably in the rape thread.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1980030.html?thread=66465918

The Rebel Flesh trailer and clips

Quote: Griff @ May 15 2011, 7:05 PM BST

Much better than last week I thought. Enough good ideas in there to keep me happy, even if luring spacefarers to a space junkyard with distress signals and then assembling Frankenstein monsters out of the bits was exactly the plot of The Brain Of Morbius.

The notion of the TARDIS taking human form was enough in itself to keep me happy for 45 minutes. The idea that an anthropomorphised TARDIS means they've 'run out of ideas' is utter bollocks, as if Doctor Who, after 'recycling' plots from popular literature for 28 years of the classic series, is now supposed to come up with concepts week after week that have never been thought of in all the billions of pages of science fiction and fantasy ever written.

There wasn't really much actual drama as all the problems were solved by technobabble throughout, but all the components - Auntie, Uncle, Nephew, House - seemed acceptably Who-ish and there was lots of interest along the way. And I thought the 'running through corridors' peril for Amy and Rory was meant to be a joke about that famously overused Who standby, although apparently it wasn't.

I did feel Nephew wasn't a very credible threat but that's a minor gripe.

I also quite like the fact that the title 'The Doctor's Wife' was (I think) not referenced at any point in the script?

I'd like to hear more from this Neil Gaiman chap in the future. I think he's one to keep an eye on.

Good review. Apparently the only reason for the Ood was, again, a cost thing. Gaiman wanted a new monster, presumably something a bit more threatening, but was told he'd have to recycle an existing monster; having been told that you're probably quite limited on what would be best to use.

I'd love Gaiman to do another, but whether that will happen any time soon, I'm sceptical.

Rory has really developed into a favourite. He's generally a comic character, tinged with a little tragedy, but the rage towards Amy when he was the old man was truely effective and well acted.