British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 711

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 10:38 AM BST

The body wasn't the Tardis! The Tardis could just have easilly been ripped out by House and been put into the mans body, but that obviously wouldn't have worked as well for several obvious reasons. But the Time Lords didn't work like the Doctor, that's why he was a rebel, that's why he stole a Tardis and ran away, because they didn't go off travelling all day and getting into trouble.

In many ways Dr Who is quite a contemptible Peter Pan figure. A gadabout with no real purpose.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 15 2011, 10:42 AM BST

Not to nitpick, but....

"I exist in all of time and space simultaneously"

"I needed a Time Lord to go see the universe"

You nitpickers really suck the joy out of a thing!!

I thought that it existed in all it's own time and space simultaneously; by which I mean every place it will or ever go; but obviously it needs someone to be at the console to be taking it to those places at some point.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 10:42 AM BST

In many ways Dr Who is quite a contemptible Peter Pan figure. A gadabout with no real purpose.

His only purpose is to explore and get into trouble. Contemptible is an odd choice of word; d'you think he should settle down and get a job? :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 10:45 AM BST

His only purpose is to explore and get into trouble. Contemptible is an odd choice of word; d'you think he should settle down and get a job? :D

He'd make a good second-hand car dealer. I imagine he'd be adept at putting the mileage back on the milometer.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 10:41 AM BST

It needs no reboot; and do we know for sure that who we saw die was the same Doctor we're now travelling with? And even if it is, there is never any real jeopardy for the character, only for those around, as no one can seriously be watching and wondering if the Doctor is going to die for good this week.

No, we don't know - but it IS the same Doctor he just regenerates in different form. There should be jeopardy for the character and the RS takes that away. The skill in storytelling is to make that jeopardy real even if we know it isn't. It's what Samuel Taylor Coleridge called 'the willing suspension of disbelief' you have to engage enough emotionally to override the rationalisation process. It is the function of drama.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 10:45 AM BST

You nitpickers really suck the joy out of a thing!! I thought that it existed in all it's own time and space simultaneously; by which I mean every place it will or ever go; but obviously it needs someone to be at the console to be taking it to those places at some point. His only purpose is to explore and get into trouble. Contemptible is an odd choice of word; d'you think he should settle down and get a job? :D

If a person just flitted about in his advanced years with young popsicles on his arm we'd think it a bit creepy. Doctor Who is the Peter Stringfellow of time and space travel.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2011, 10:50 AM BST

If a person just flitted about in his advanced years with young popsicles on his arm we'd think it a bit creepy.

We don't think you're creepy, Chip, just pining for your lost youth.

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2011, 10:49 AM BST

No, we don't know - but it IS the same Doctor he just regenerates in different form. There should be jeopardy for the character and the RS takes that away. The skill in storytelling is to make that jeopardy real even if we know it isn't. It's what Samuel Taylor Coleridge called 'the willing suspension of disbelief' you have to engage enough emotionally to override the rationalisation process. It is the function of drama.

It isn't working for you, which is fine, can't please everyone(Sorry Murphy!!), but I don't think talents the size of Moffat and Neil Gaiman need taught how to write properly either! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 10:53 AM BST

how to write properly

There's a world of difference between writing properly and writing well. Pedantic perhaps, but an important difference. And not even great writers always write well.

It isn't working for you, which is fine(Sorry Murphy), but I don't need a lesson in drama, it clearly is working, in general, for me; and I don't think talents the size of Moffat and Neil Gaiman need taught how to write properly either! :D

So we should discuss these issues in the form of well I like it and you don't. :D

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 15 2011, 10:56 AM BST

There's a world of difference between writing properly and writing well. Pedantic perhaps, but an important difference. And not even great writers always write well.

Fine, they write 'well', sorry! :P

I don't think talents the size of Moffat and Neil Gaiman need taught how to write properly either! :D

Okay, so even if we are not fit to lick their boots, even the most talented sometimes make mistakes that can be obvious to those less talented.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 15 2011, 10:52 AM BST

We don't think you're creepy, Chip, just pining for your lost youth.

I know exactly where "my youth" is at all times, Tim. ;)

Lost Youth?

I wandered what happened to the annpying black kid from season 1+2!

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2011, 10:56 AM BST

So we should discuss these issues in the form of well I like it and you don't. :D

You're trying to convince me of the things you see as wrong in the script, in the writers technique, but this week I thought it was a top notch script. I think Gaimen is a terrific talent who loves and gets Who.

Quote: Timbo @ May 15 2011, 10:58 AM BST

Okay, so even if we are not fit to lick their boots, even the most talented sometimes make mistakes that can be obvious to those less talented.

Obviously. But I don't think there were many 'mistakes' this week, unlike last weeks.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 15 2011, 11:06 AM BST

You're trying to convince me of the things you see as wrong in the script, in the writers technique, but this week I thought it was a top notch script. I think Gaimen is a terrific talent who loves and gets Who.

It wasn't a top notch script by any means but it was a lot of fun. And thankfully it zipped along so you didn't think too much about the duff bits.