British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 120

Quote: andyblacksheep @ May 8 2011, 9:05 PM BST

Go to any open mic stand up night these days and you'll see some people giving it a try :|

(I mean copying his style, not directly lifting his routines BTW)

In a script though? Not stand up, which is what BB was talking about.

Okay, this is back to the original argument. No, if you gave someone who had never seen Stewart Lee, one of Stewart Lee's scripts, and asked them to perform it as a comedy, it is extremely unlikely they would perform it exactly as Stewart Lee performs it.

The first argument is, that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be as funny. It would be different, but it might be hysterical. I'll grant you it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. You're free to imagine a case where it isn't funny, but I'm free to imagine a case where it is, because this is a hypothetical argument.

However, there's a second argument which is more important and more what you're getting at. If Stewart Lee was to enter a national scriptwriting competition, and he sent in one of his routines as a script, without any indication of how it should be performed, and relying on an extremely esoteric mode of delivery that he's honed over years of embittered personal struggle... he'd be an idiot, at least if he wanted to win the competition.

The brief of Sitcommission is very clear. You're writing for a cast who is not you, to be directed by someone who is not you, who you will have minimal contact with. To get to that stage you will first have been read in a pile of hundreds of other scripts. The way to give yourself the best possible chance therefore is to write something extremely clear, clean and easily understood on the first reading. None of which has to mean 'simple'. If your normal style is obscure and open to multiple interpretation, you're not going to do yourself any favours not changing your style for the competition.

Quote: andyblacksheep @ May 9 2011, 9:20 AM BST

The brief of Sitcommission is very clear. You're writing for a cast who is not you, to be directed by someone who is not you, who you will have minimal contact with.

The minimal contact bit is the rather silly bit. It makes no sense. Why try to emulate the professional world and then do something that never happens in the professional world?

I think on this occasion Bushbaby was referring to the script reading service, not the competition. We're doing the script reading service for people who can't make our Help! I've Written A Script workshops (next one on June 11, some places still available!)

As for writers being involved in all stages of the competition - the final eight are currently working with their script editors and will have full access to rehearsals and the shows themselves. It makes sense for them to be involved as much as possible. This is one reason why we're only showcasing eight scripts this time - 32 and even 16 was unmanageable.

From my own experience, I've seen both sides. I've had things performed which missed the point entirely and I wondered what the director was thinking (if anything at all), and I've had actors criticise my work to the director while I was sitting in the room. However, on that occasion, the actor was absolutely correct and her observations helped improve a completely underwritten character.

As painful as both experiences were, they only improved both my writing, my assertiveness and my ability to get my point across.

Hope that helps.

That all makes good sense to me Declan.

Thanks Marc.

At least it improved my ability to get my point across.

It's all about dialogue :)

I had a dire log this morning. Vindaloo on a Sunday? What was I thinking?

:O

Well that's that one cleared up. Now, my question got buried, and I won't expect anyone to look it up so...are any sit-com mission performances from the past available on YouTube? Are there any plans to make future ones available on YouTube, or a similar site? Maybe future entrants could be asked for authorisation on the application forms? Are friends and family allowed to film short clips on the night? I know this would require authorisation from everyone involved, but who could possibly object to all that free publicity?? Any thoughts?

One of our directors is working on getting a promo out on YouTube which is being filmed soon, and we'd like to film things sometime. However, single camera filming of stage sitcoms usually look a bit crap.

Quote: Declan @ May 9 2011, 12:31 PM BST

One of our directors is working on getting a promo out on YouTube which is being filmed soon, and we'd like to film things sometime. However, single camera filming of stage sitcoms usually look a bit crap.

We know a director/cameraman who has his own camera, sound and lighting equipment. Much better to hire him (for a surprisingly small fee) and shoot something properly with close-ups and good sound than try to grab shots from the audience. The quality is always so poor (you'll never get decent sound this way) that it's usually counter productive. As a selling tool it works against you.

Something else we have to consider is that it can be really annoying to pay full price for a seat and then have your evening ruined by sitting near someone who is filming.

Quote: Declan @ May 9 2011, 9:45 AM BST

I think on this occasion Bushbaby was referring to the script reading service, not the competition. We're doing the script reading service for people who can't make our Help! I've Written A Script workshops (next one on June 11, some places still available!)

As for writers being involved in all stages of the competition - the final eight are currently working with their script editors and will have full access to rehearsals and the shows themselves. It makes sense for them to be involved as much as possible. This is one reason why we're only showcasing eight scripts this time - 32 and even 16 was unmanageable.

From my own experience, I've seen both sides. I've had things performed which missed the point entirely and I wondered what the director was thinking (if anything at all), and I've had actors criticise my work to the director while I was sitting in the room. However, on that occasion, the actor was absolutely correct and her observations helped improve a completely underwritten character.

As painful as both experiences were, they only improved both my writing, my assertiveness and my ability to get my point across.

Hope that helps.

Fab, someone finally understood what I was trying to say xx :)

Quote: bushbaby @ May 9 2011, 8:00 PM BST

Flb, smblum finlr stood what I say xx :)

yes

Quote: Marc P @ May 9 2011, 10:22 PM BST

yes

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud you are hilarious