British Comedy Guide

Help with relationship advice Page 19

Maybe his partner got the woman to send the text - the old Babushka Gambit!! ?)

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 3:39 PM BST

Maybe his partner got the woman to send the text - the old Babushka Gambit!! ?)

I was listening to that Kate Bush song yesterday. How does the bloke meet-up with this "Babooshka" and yet fail to recognise his own sodding wife (before the tears, before the years flew by) in a bloody wig (or whatever)? The story Bush tells does not bear scrutiny in my view. Unimpressed

Good tune though :)

A bird in the hand is worth two in Kate's bush.

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 3:50 PM BST

Good tune though :)

True. :)

But in general Bush fairs better lyrically when adapting the works of Brontë.

Ahhh Wuthering, naff novel great song :)

I may not have been the demographic for the novel.

I'm the demographic for the novel. I love it, or did when I read it last at about 15.

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 3:55 PM BST

Ahhh Wuthering, naff novel great song :)

I may not have been the demographic for the novel.

...I thought it was only a song. #Googles the book, looks boring. I'm out.

I did like Northanger Abbey better and George Elliot best out of that bunch.

Ahhh... Heathcliff - that powerful, brooding, sexually potent hero (and 1970s 2nd Division footballer, by the looks of it, Sir Cliff)...

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 3:59 PM BST

I did like Northanger Abbey better and George Elliot best out of that bunch.

I am doing a George Eliot module next term!

And Tim - that picture (no matter how joking it is :P) proves why I have an aversion to TV adaptations or other interpretations. They ruin how you had imagined everything when you read the book!

Do you think Cliff ever had sex with Sue Barker?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 8 2011, 3:33 PM BST

Oh gosh. He should sort out the long-term relationship first before accepting any kind of compliments/potential flirting from another woman. It's the least he can do.

Yes because women never wait until they have another bloke lined up before leaving someone.

Of course some do. That's not the point. Either way, it's morally wrong to act like that whether you're male or female. I unwittingly did this and as much as I love Elliot, I will never stop feeling guilty for how I acted back then.

Perhaps I am generalising but it seems to me that women find it particularly difficult to leave the security of a relationship without first having made other arrangements.

If the guy is unhappy in his relationship and is shillyshallying about ending it then an alternative offer could be just the boost he needs to make the break, ultimately to everyone's benefit.