British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 3,682

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2011, 3:15 PM BST

You won't be pitching at the people making the decisions though will you Matthew?

Well, I won't actually be going to the channel's at all at this stage, a producer will be showing them round. If I come up with some he thinks might interest them after the feedback he had about another show we were developing.

Here's a hint for anyone else trying to come up with a comedy at the moment, don't bother with ones involving either an assassin or a spy; every channel seems to have something in that area in development already!

Well yes that was kinda my point I was making, a wee bit tongue in cheek. Strikes me the creative interest is outside of the round corridors nowadays. I could be wrong but I am not sure MJ leaving was a good sign.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 8 2011, 3:14 PM BST

A working-class sitcom where the characters just accepted their lot would be tedious.

The Royle Family?

Quote: bigfella @ May 8 2011, 3:29 PM BST

The Royle Family?

Well to some it is a bit tedious, to others a celebration of life...

However, within this seemingly "accepting their lot" situation, there is plenty of aspiration for escape from the living room. Denise and Dave with aspirations of owning their own house, having a family and hosting social events. Anthony's move towards a well-paid job and enticing a middle(ish)-class girlfriend. A lot of the humour comes from Jim's rejection/ridicule of social pretension, coupled with Barbara's obvious admiration for refinement and sophistication.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 8 2011, 3:35 PM BST

Well to some it is a bit tedious, to others a celebration of life...

However, within this seemingly "accepting their lot" situation, there is plenty of aspiration for escape from the living room. Denise and Dave with aspirations of owning their own house, having a family and hosting social events. Anthony's move towards a well-paid job and enticing a middle(ish)-class girlfriend. A lot of the humour comes from Jim's rejection/ridicule of social pretension, coupled with Barbara's obvious admiration for refinement and sophistication.

Yes... and the My arse! Line.

Birds of a Feather comes to mind as being working class without too much of the social climbing angle, then again there was the man eating neighbour, (was she called Dorian? yonks since I saw it now) who was a bit 'posher' than the sisters...but any comedy that didnt have contrasting characters would be pretty dull. Im not sure if this blue collar thing is a blind alley, shouldnt it be more about a good idea spawning the characters and situations? rather than sitting down to deliberately write a working class sitcom

Just read on Facebook of a Formula 1 fan saying they wished Vettel had a fatal accident. I think that's a disgraceful thing to say and I came within an inch of repeating this...in front of people whose son had died in a fatal car crash. That was a nasty moment. :(

In some ways Red Dwarf was blue collar; the main pair were bottom of the barrel workers on a mining ship. One mostly happy with his lot, the other with aspirations to reach the top.

I imagine they don't really want blue collar in space pitches though!

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 8 2011, 3:14 PM BST

A working-class sitcom where the characters just accepted their lot would be tedious. It also wouldn't appeal to the middle-classes who actually watch these shows.

Ah... Coronation Street?

Quote: billwill @ May 8 2011, 6:06 PM BST

Ah... Coronation Street?

Laughing out loud

Quote: billwill @ May 8 2011, 6:06 PM BST

Ah... Coronation Street?

The last I heard Coronation Street isn't a sitcom.

And the last I saw it's still as f**king abysmal as ever.

I have lost the sensation in my right hand for the best part of 24 hours, presumably the result of a trapped nerve. Disappointingly it is not true that it makes wanking more pleasurable.

Quote: Timbo @ May 8 2011, 8:49 PM BST

I have lost the sensation in my right hand for the best part of 24 hours, presumably the result of a trapped nerve. Disappointingly it is not true that it makes wanking more pleasurable.

That trick only works when you're wanking yourself off, Timbo.

A shirt requires ironing. F**k's sake.

Quote: Ben @ May 8 2011, 8:52 PM BST

A shirt requires ironing. F**k's sake.

Jesus f**king Christ! And on a Sunday too! Just how much more do this f**king ConDem coalition government expect us to take!? I'm livid on your behalf, mate. Angry