British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 18

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:47 PM BST

You're right, that's a good analogy.

Thanks would you like another one?

Quote: sootyj @ May 1 2011, 12:49 PM BST

Thanks would you like another one?

I'll never say no to you Sooty.

I was thinking about this, I don;t think it is jealousy with me re writing on WHO - but could be a little bit. I just thought we would have a whole series or two of BLINK type stuff, are you my mummy etc? I suppose a lot of balls have been thrown up in the air and Moff is trying to catch them all.

Quote: sootyj @ May 1 2011, 12:45 PM BST

Others like watching badgers f**k.

I wouldn't call that good writing.

The unexpurgated edition of The Wind in the Willows is considered something of a classic.

Quote: Marc P @ May 1 2011, 12:58 PM BST

I was thinking about this, I don;t think it is jealousy with me re writing on WHO - but could be a little bit. I just thought we would have a whole series or two of BLINK type stuff, are you my mummy etc? I suppose a lot of balls have been thrown up in the air and Moff is trying to catch them all.

There's definitely a balls up somewhere in the Whoniverse.

I suppose, considering what he did in his own eps under RTD, we should have expected he'd approach the show in the way he has. For me, I like the more involved series arcs, but will obviously be pissed off if he isn't able to resolve what he's set up properly.

I suppose a lot of balls have been thrown up in the air and Moff is trying to catch them all.

He's certainly writing a lot of balls.

I know we're only two episodes in, but this series feels more like the one I expected, when I found out Moffat was taking over.

It's better certainly.

Ahem. There's a thread for discussing Who and this isn't it.

Back to the debate. Which I think had boiled down to: 'Current UK TV drama is a bit crap. Yes or no?'.

I spent saturday night watching Spiral. Okay, it had a lot of the things that could be predicted turning up but its a twelve part drama the like of which we don't get on domestic TV any more. I didn't see the Killing but I would hope it might pick up some of the awards for which its been nominated

There have been a lot of comments on Sherlock. I for one found it a bit like an oasis in the current desert but for all that it got three episodes - okay they were long ones but still it was a grand total of four and a half hours programming, with a duff 90 minutes in the middle. Add to that it was a reinterpretation rather than a new idea and we're back at the paucity of home grown drama programming. Danny Cohen is taking an axe to 'male dominated crime drama'. What is going in its place? Female dominated crime drama?

Should we storm writers' room with our drama efforts rather than our comedy?

Ahem. There's a thread for discussing Sherlock!

;)

That Sherlock gets spoken of so highly says so much about the loss of confidence in British drama.

And why did no one here watch the most excelent "Tha Accused"

I think Sherlock and Who were raised as examples as the best of writing the BBC has, in context of the Academy developing writers.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2011, 2:04 PM BST

Ahem. There's a thread for discussing Sherlock!

;)

Wasn't discussing. Was citing it as an example. Unlike the posts discussing Who. :P

I think someone has mentioned that there is raft of new stuff coming up over the next week or so. I thought I'd look at who written them and what the track record was.
Exile (BBC1) - Danny Brocklehurst - Clocking Off, Shameless, The Street.
Vera (ITV1) - adapted by Stephen Brady - Murphy's Law, Silent witness, Taggart.
Case Sensitive (ITV1 produced by Hat Trick)- adapted by Kate Brooks (not 100% sure that have found the right one but Wired) and Shelagh Stephenson (track record of stageplays)
Shadow Line (BBC2) - Hugo Blick.

Unless these people won't admit to having worked on serial dramas then I come back to a point which I raised in the early pages, does writing for a soap really make the best grounding for writing drama? Is this the Beeb's best response? Are there not other ways to find your way to writing your opus dei?

I can't discuss in the WHO thread as I haven't seen Ep 2. But RTD was mentioned as a possible teacher at THE ACADEMY! :)