British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 14

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:52 AM BST

Oooh, that sounds like fighting talk!

:|

Look, we allow Sooty to do that fake quoting thing, because, let's face it, without that he'd post little else.
But there are limits!!!

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:53 AM BST

What I'd really like to see is more original storytelling, not shows reliant on hanging their hat on the usual genres (i.e. sci-fi, vampires, cops, detectives, doctors etc...)

I'd LOVE to see some really good Brit Sci-Fi, because there isn't any. I sort of don't count Dr Who, that's it's own thing. Sci-Fi doesn't have to be WHo, or Star Trek; spaceships and monsters.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:53 AM BST

Fair enough, that is unfair of me.

It's not a bad show just, in the context of this debate, it's effectively the same as all the lovingly-adapted BBC costume dramas of classic literature which has been done to death over the years.

What I'd really like to see is more original storytelling, not shows reliant on hanging their hat on the usual genres (i.e. sci-fi, vampires, cops, detectives, doctors etc...)

But surely, the way in which you find this trite and dull, I might say that kitchen-sink dramas set in the North-East might be trite and dull (before I get my hand chewed off...I don't think that). So what, in an ideal world, would you really gun for? Out of interest?

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:50 AM BST

'tone, and feel'

Enlighten me. In TV drama terms, what would be the difference between "tone" and "feel"?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:57 AM BST

I'd LOVE to see some really good Brit Sci-Fi, because there isn't any. I sort of don't count Dr Who, that's it's own thing. Sci-Fi doesn't have to be WHo, or Star Trek; spaceships and monsters.

I'm more excited by people reinventing things I thought to be way past it. I find that original and innovative.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:57 AM BST

Enlighten me. In TV drama terms, what would be the difference between "tone" and "feel"?

What point were you quoting from?

I'd love a really good horror series, too. There isn't any.

Actually, what was the last TV show you could class as horror? That set out to properly scare or unnerve?

Psychoville?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 1:01 AM BST

I'd love a really good horror series, too. There isn't any.

Actually, what was the last TV show you could class as horror? That set out to properly scare or unnerve?

Don't Scare the Hare?

And that Crooked House thing. But wasn't really a series.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2011, 1:02 AM BST

Psychoville?

Yeah, but that's comedy; something that isn't a comedy, or isn't doing things in an arch manner.

There was that Mark Gatiss show from a few years back, Crooked House; but there doesn't seem to be too many.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2011, 12:56 AM BST

:|

Look, we allow Sooty to do that fake quoting thing, because, let's face it, without that he'd post little else.
But there are limits!!!

I blame Sooty, I'm just the Karl Pilkington to his Ricky Gervais!

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:57 AM BST

But surely, the way in which you find this trite and dull, I might say that kitchen-sink dramas set in the North-East might be trite and dull (before I get my hand chewed off...I don't think that). So what, in an ideal world, would you really gun for? Out of interest?

A contemporary drama with the overall narrative sprawling over a long episode arc, with complex and interesting characters involved in an engaging story that kept me guessing as to how it will be eventually resolved.

Mainly great characters, the more complex the better - but without supernatural powers or the need to solve crime or the need to save the entire world in order to make them interesting. Something that might make me think a bit would be good. Human stories, not escapist fantasies. The BBC, in particular, seem to believe that everyone thesedays must love sci-fi. Not everyone does. Some of us really hate it.

(So I've basically described The Sopranos or Mad Men or Six Feet Under or Traffik or GBH or...)

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:55 AM BST

Where was that even quoted from..?

Don't worry, I was just misquoting zooo for mischief making purposes. You can pretend she really said that though.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:58 AM BST

What point were you quoting from?

Er, your post about Sherlock Holmes?

Have you dipped your toe into drama writing Tim, or have you stuck to comedy?