British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 13

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:43 AM BST

But you're ignoring the drama we were actually talking about, such as Being Human

Generic nonsense.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:45 AM BST

Generic nonsense.

In your opinion. See how redundant the whole thing is really? I personally see it as new and brave and interesting. It's BBC3, so it isn't exactly going for the same tonal sense as...Blackpool or Sex Traffickers or State of Play. But...ha, the only reason that I can argue for it is 'well, I like it'. Just as anyone arguing against can say 'well, I don't', which is effectively what you mean, when you say 'generic nonsense'.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:43 AM BST

and Sherlock

Re-hashed classic literature turned into a simplistic (if stylish) modern romp. No depth whatsoever. Detracts and demeans the classic it's inspired from. Not original drama.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:45 AM BST

Generic nonsense.

I like it, it's a good show.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:47 AM BST

Re-hashed classic literature turned into a simplistic (if stylish) modern romp. No depth whatsoever. Detracts and demeans the classic it's inspired from. Not original drama.

Demeans? Come on now.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:47 AM BST

I disagree.

Errr I actually quite like New Tricks.

I think we're doing okay for such a small country, actually.

That is if you like Being Human, Life on Mars, Misfits, Sherlock, and so on. Which I do.

If you don't, well, you're shit out of luck.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:48 AM BST

I like it, it's a good show.

Demeans? Come on now.

As a ridiculous Sherlock Holmes fan, I found them truer to the novels than any of the other adaptations. If we want to get into 'what makes a good adaptation' (which we don't), I'm going to quickly put that I go for 'tone, and feel'.

I think it perfectly puts across the modernity of the whole thing, the vibrancy and the relationship between the two men as well as an incredible sense of intelligence and jeopardy. The writing is clever and sharp. The writers very clearly understand people, and rhythm, and dialogue, and plot.

But again. You could say 'I disagree', and I can't say you're wrong.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2011, 12:50 AM BST

That is if you like Being Human, Life on Mars, Misfits, Sherlock, and so on. Which I do.

:D

Very concisely put what I've been trying to say in several pages :P

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:50 AM BST

As a ridiculous Sherlock Holmes fan, I found them truer to the novels than any of the other adaptations. If we want to get into 'what makes a good adaptation' (which we don't), I'm going to quickly put that I go for 'tone, and feel'.

I think it perfectly puts across the modernity of the whole thing, the vibrancy and the relationship between the two men as well as an incredible sense of intelligence and jeopardy. The writing is clever and sharp. The writers very clearly understand people, and rhythm, and dialogue, and plot.

But again. You could say 'I disagree', and I can't say you're wrong.

I like Sherlock!

Quote: Timbo @ May 1 2011, 12:49 AM BST

Errr I actually quite like New Tricks.

How dare you.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:51 AM BST

I like Sherlock!

haha I know, sorry, I quoted the wrong person! Ooops...

I could have Sophie any day

Oooh, that sounds like fighting talk!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2011, 12:48 AM BST

Demeans? Come on now.

Fair enough, that is unfair of me.

It's not a bad show just, in the context of this debate, it's effectively the same as all the lovingly-adapted BBC costume dramas of classic literature which has been done to death over the years.

What I'd really like to see is more original storytelling, not shows reliant on hanging their hat on the usual genres (i.e. sci-fi, vampires, cops, detectives, doctors etc...)

Quote: Vader @ May 1 2011, 12:52 AM BST

Oooh, that sounds like fighting talk!

Where was that even quoted from..?