British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 11

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:38 PM BST

Give me a kitchen sink and an abused wife any day eh.. I disagree. Besides, the third was one of the most tense things I've ever watched on television.

Watch more television. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:44 PM BST

The Christmas special was sluggish in the extreme.

I didn't find it sluggish at all, it zippped along for me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:43 PM BST

Actually, weak is wrong, it wasn't weak, it just seemed more lesuirely, after Moffat's speedier opening ep.

I got the feeling they could have put talking bloody dinosaurs in episode 2, but people approached it with folded arms and a frown saying 'right...live up to 1 damnit!' haha!

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:45 PM BST

Watch more television. ;)

I'm a student. It's sort of all I do...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:45 PM BST

I didn't find it sluggish at all, it zippped along for me.

What Christmas special? Not Sherlock..?

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:46 PM BST

What Christmas special? Not Sherlock..?

Dr Who.

Isn't there a Doctor Who thread on here somewhere for that kind of talk? *yawn*

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 30 2011, 11:47 PM BST

Isn't there a Doctor Who thread on here somewhere for all this talk? *yawn*

There should also be a separate 'bile' thread but sadly that manages to find it's way into everything on here (OOH ER!) Errr Whistling nnocently

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:48 PM BST

Well you're certainly not Jesus.

But everyone is a child of the Lord our Buddah/Allah/Iova/God/T-rex.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:48 PM BST

There should also be a separate 'bile' thread but sadly that manages to find it's way into everything on here (OOH ER!) Errr Whistling nnocently

It's rather strange that you should be the person expressing feelings of hurt and persecution, when you appear to be the most aggressive and condescending party in every conversation you engage in.

I've been around here long enough to know when a debate has become pointless, so farewell then... :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 30 2011, 11:52 PM BST

It's rather strange that you should be the person expressing feelings of hurt and persecution, when you appear to be the most aggressive and condescending party in every conversation you engage in.

I've been around here long enough to know when a debate has become pointless, so farewell then... :)

Firstly, throughout most of this conversation, I've simply been winding people up. Silly yes. Condescending? No. If I wanted to be condescending, I'd be condescending. As it is, you are being unimaginably hypocritical. Opinions are opinions, you are as vocal as anybody. Don't be territorial, it's only the internet.

I am keen to see this evidence of 'aggression' however, because is that in itself not subjective? You could claim this comment (as I type it) is aggressive. Then I could disagree. We go nowhere. It's like saying somebody is 'mad', they mightn't be, but now that you've said it, you've planted it. Very manipulative.

I've been around here long enough to know when a debate has become pointless

*ponders which BCG debates had points*

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:56 PM BST

Firstly, throughout most of this conversation, I've simply been winding people up.

So we can consider the majority of everything you have said as insincere? Cool. :)

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:57 PM BST

*ponders which BCG debates had points*

The Skit Comp has points... Errr

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:23 PM BST

That's why I mentioned Sherlock and Being Human. These are the only things we've ever done that have really been comparable to American drama.

ever done? And actually they are a bit meh.

Try this thread for some historical perspective:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14030/2/

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:04 AM BST

So we can consider the majority of everything you have said as insincere? Cool. :)

The Skit Comp has points... Errr

Do you see what I meant previously about your aggression towards me? You seem to take anything I say and spin it wildly out of proportion...

No. Mostly I just like contributing to discussion here. These particular past few posts about what telly we like and why...to me has just been a bit of fun. The 'kitchen sink' comment, was said as a light-hearted dig. But like someone said before, may even have been you...do we really have to stick smiley faces on everything for people to get it?

Oh never mind...internet...internet.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ May 1 2011, 12:07 AM BST

Oh never mind...internet...internet.

Yeah, it's bloody annoying when everyone on the internet is wrong and you are right, isn't it? ;)

Then again, I'm not an expert on the 'New Media' like some...

Quote: Timbo @ May 1 2011, 12:07 AM BST

ever done? And actually they are a bit meh.

Try this thread for some historical perspective:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14030/2/

Thanks for the link, though I think I've read that thread before. I got the feeling then, and still do now, that some of that may be slightly...nostalgic. It still clings to what I said before about a lot of Jimmy McGovern-esque solid kitchen sink drama about very upset people living difficult lives. I'm not slighting it! I love to try and watch everything and some of those listed are some of my favourite shows. But times change viewing-wise and that stuff really just dies on its arse these days. You can say it's a bad thing, it's all taste at the end of it all. But I don't know...I really like the turn our latest stuff has taken.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:11 AM BST

Yeah, it's bloody annoying when everyone on the internet is wrong and you are right, isn't it? ;)

Nice you're being so self-aware eh ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 1 2011, 12:11 AM BST

Yeah. I have a BTEC and everything.

I wouldn't characterise McGovern as kitchen sink. Cracker is fast paced, audacious funny and exciting.