British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 683

Maybe the girl is the Rani?

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 10:51 PM BST

*pauses ludicrously long time before answering*

*Wonders if he's mixed up his playwrights. Maybe he was thinking of...*

Quote: Rob H @ April 30 2011, 10:53 PM BST

*Wonders if he's mixed up his playwrights. Maybe he was thinking of...*

*tries to remember if he is mixing up is playwrights, then realises nobody other than Griff has seen a play on the Doctor Who thread so it doesn't matter*

I think Moff's ODed on Lost boxsets.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:02 PM BST

Pinter is indeed the playwright who has been reduced to nothing more than an endlessly repeated joke about pauses.

*...he was*

I really should watch Doctor Who, if only so I have something vaguely worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:02 PM BST

I still have no idea how what happened on the beach in Episode One

Well none of us do yet, that will be coming up later.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:18 PM BST

Well none of us do yet, that will be coming up later.

A "Bad Wolf" moment, you might say...

I actually think RTD had more of a hit rate with other peoples scripts; the stand out stories were rarely his own. Other way round last time, stand out eps nearly all Moffat's. Hopefully second time round he will do better in that regard.

Quote: GGdown @ April 30 2011, 11:24 PM BST

A "Bad Wolf" moment, you might say...

Except I imagine Moffat has at least some idea of what it's going to be about, unlike RTD! (At least I bloody hope so!)

Moffat's underachieved for me, and isn't up to it as the showrunner. Better than RTD? On a par so far.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:24 PM BST

I actually think RTD had more of a hit rate with other peoples scripts; the stand out stories were rarely his own. Other way round last time, stand out eps nearly all Moffat's. Hopefully second time round he will do better in that regard.

I think it's just that Moffat's an excellent writer - "Blink" is still the best episode since the show restarted and generally he's the one with excellent success rates. As showrunner, the opening/closing episodes are written by him, plus he essentially writes the season long arcs too, which is what I was most excited by when I heard he was taking over.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:26 PM BST

Moffat's underachieved for me, and isn't up to it as the showrunner. Better than RTD? On a par so far.

Underachieved? Certainly, but after only one series in charge, it's too early to say he isn't up to it. If he does no better this year, then that's a differet matter.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 30 2011, 10:03 PM BST

I'm pretty sure the Doctor could f**k anyone he wanted to...

WHAT. THE. FUCK?!

It was good to see Amy in a trouser suit, very Agent Scully, made me think she could actually be quite a good actress in years to come, not that she isn't now :).

Rory was starting to annoy me for being such a sap, but I liked how they turned that round.

I thought of Scully too. The whole concept was very X-Files.

It was definitely my favourite New Who series opener.
Just pips Rose.
I agree that it might be a bit confusing for the casual viewer.