British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 10

This is what happens if you give them a new toy to play with. They're all so eager to play with it they end up breaking it.

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2011, 11:25 PM BST

Indeed! I just read this whole thread in one go. I don't know why everyone gave her such a bloody hard time in the first half of the thread, but good on her for sticking around.

Yes good on Sophie for sticking around. I think it was this comment that was a bit of a red rag for some.

'Pretty sad that people deem themselves 'above' BBC flagship shows. Unemployed = Undiscovered genius I suppose...'

It got a bit feisty after that. But one thing that certainly helps in TV is developing a thick skin! And it is a good subject for discussion, how the BBC sees this academy in developing 'writers' versus say for example 'creativity'. Or can it do both and how... etc.

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 10:43 PM BST

Are you Welsh Sophie? That's as good as you've ever been? Really?

Or do you mean UK Drama in general in which case ... well... just golly!

I'm not Welsh no. To me that is high quality. But then again who are we to dictate to one another about 'good/bad' really? It's all irrevocably subjective. No one is right or wrong.

We do great one-off dramas and 4-parters. But with regards to long running series, these are the ones at the moment. What else? Kenneth Brannagh's Wallander???

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 10:44 PM BST

Not really. I like those shows but they start looking a bit flimsy against Our Friends In The North, Life and Loves of a She Devil, Nice Work, Boys from the Blackstuff, The Lakes, The Singing Detective, Edge of Darkness and Smileys People to name but a few.

A lot of this is the 'angry northern' stuff that the BBC gets associated with. I'm relieved that they're pushing away from that now. Don't get me wrong, it's all brilliant, but much in the same way all British telly is 'crime drama' now, it once was all 'Jimmy McGovern' territory. Everything gets stale in excess.

Also, a lot of those you mentioned were '4-parters' and one-offs. Like I said, I'm talking long-running drama, or, if we like, 'American style' drama.

In that case, none of our shows can compete with American dramas. They all look limp and plodding compared to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, 24, Buffy, Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica etc.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:21 PM BST

In that case, none of our shows can compete with American dramas. They all look limp and plodding compared to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, 24, Buffy, Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica etc.

That's why I mentioned Sherlock and Being Human. These are the only things we've ever done that have really been comparable to American drama. Proof being that they've syndicated one and remade the other.

Life on Mars is another good example.

These are all slick, well written, well made, and well-shot. A lot of our stuff, no matter how strong it is in some departments, severely lacks in many of these.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:21 PM BST

In that case, none of our shows can compete with American dramas. They all look limp and plodding

They don't ALL look plodding, that's an exaggeration.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:28 PM BST

They don't ALL look plodding, that's an exaggeration.

Could never call Sherlock, Life on Mars, or Doctor Who 'plodding'...

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:28 PM BST

Lewis, Morse, or The Lakes? Sure.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:29 PM BST

Quite.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:31 PM BST

Oh and Life On Mars great writing? Seventies cop shows reworked as kitsch comedy. "It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm having hoops." Great in a two-minute sketch spoofing The Sweeney. But a believable character we're supposed to give a shit about? I don't think so.

I thought it was brilliant. How many did you watch in the end? Because you most certainly come to care about those characters.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 30 2011, 11:29 PM BST

Compared to American's inherently leaner and pacier shows they're plodding. And the second Sherlock episode was tedious as hell.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:31 PM BST

Oh and Life On Mars great writing? "It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm having hoops." Great in a two-minute sketch spoofing The Sweeney. But a believable character we're supposed to give a shit about spouting arch catchphrases with the writer winking at you from behind every line? You can keep it.

Give me a kitchen sink and an abused wife any day eh..

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:35 PM BST

Compared to American's inherently leaner and pacier shows they're plodding. And the second Sherlock episode was tedious as hell.

I disagree. Besides, the third was one of the most tense things I've ever watched on television.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 11:35 PM BST

Who is not plodding.

And yes, the second ep of Sherlock was a bit slow and weak, the other two were neither.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:35 PM BST

I only watched a couple. The heavy-handed pastiche put me off so didn't bother watching the rest.

That's a shame, I really think it's on of the stand out TV shows of recent times, here or in America.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:40 PM BST

Who is not plodding.

And yes, the second ep of Sherlock was a bit slow and weak, the other two were neither.

I think I'm alone but I thought episode 2 was fantastic. Much more insight into them as a pair and the case was lively and interesting. Worked for me. I think people are too easily manipulated by hype. Either that or people are really easily disappointed.

Actually, weak is wrong, it wasn't weak, it just seemed more lesuirely, after Moffat's speedier opening ep.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 11:41 PM BST

Who is not plodding. And yes, the second ep of Sherlock was a bit slow and weak, the other two were neither.

The Christmas special was sluggish in the extreme. Normal episodes vary wildly in terms of their pacing, depending on the writer.

Quote: Griff @ April 30 2011, 11:43 PM BST

Now you're responding by attacking a viewpoint I haven't put forward. I would love to have enjoyed a high-concept fantasy show like Life On Mars. I thought the 70s characters ventured too far into caricature for my taste, obviously you thought it was great, good for you.

*sigh* wasn't attacking...was joking...never mind...(forgot, it's the internet, everyone is Jesus.)