British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 677

The way the Doctor turns the tables on the Silence was excellent, I thought. Logically sound, creepy, ingenious.

No hint of deus ex machina. No "press here to genoicide" button.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 7:39 PM BST

I also don't care who the girl is. At least The Big Crack last year intrigued me, but a little girl? Meh. Moffat's visited the Odd Child well a few times too many.

A scene of her suddenly regenerating perks no interest in you? Ee Gads-!

Was there anything you liked then? Or just a list of stuff you didn't? ;)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 30 2011, 7:42 PM BST

The way the Doctor turns the tables on the Silence was excellent, I thought. Logically sound, creepy, ingenious.

No hint of deus ex machina. No "press here to genoicide" button.

Yes, that was very good. He sort of played their own trick on them.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 30 2011, 7:13 PM BST

Maybe the baby's part Silence? Scan it and it's there, give the result (not look) and it's not.

Interesting point Nil, I hadn't though of that.

Can I just say you're great while I'm here, and bloody handsome too I hear. And modest to boot.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 7:45 PM BST

A scene of her suddenly regenerating perks no interest in you? Ee Gads-! Was there anything you liked then? Or just a list of stuff you didn't? ;)

I was just very disappointed in it. Slapdash, lazy storytelling with no surprises. Glad some diehard Whoverts liked it but this won't appeal to a wider audience.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 30 2011, 7:49 PM BST

Interesting point Nil, I hadn't though of that.

Can I just say you're great while I'm here, and bloody handsome too I hear. And modest to boot.

Would you like me to repost my sort of repsonse to your musings on the child? It was supposed to take the discussion forward.

I have very little clue what's going on, but I am effing terrified.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 7:51 PM BST

I was just very disappointed in it. Slapdash, lazy storytelling with no surprises. Glad some diehard Whoverts liked it but this won't appeal to a wider audience.

I'd say there was certainly some surprises; and you could accuse it of a lot, but lazy hardly seems to fit.

The idea that only a few 'Diehards' could have liked it is a tad condescending!

But if you didn't like it, there we go.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 30 2011, 7:51 PM BST

Would you like me to repost my sort of repsonse to your musings on the child? It was supposed to take the discussion forward.

:) Nah, I didn't realise you responding to my post to be honest, it was quite self contained.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 30 2011, 7:49 PM BST

Interesting point Nil, I hadn't though of that. Can I just say you're great while I'm here, and bloody handsome too I hear. And modest to boot.

:D

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 30 2011, 7:53 PM BST

:D

I do slightly worry that it will prove too complex for small kids. Normally I wouldn't care, but it does need them to keep watching. I assume next weeks won't be quite so difficult, though.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 30 2011, 7:53 PM BST

Are you talking about your life again, Scats? :P

Oh, I thought that was a given.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 7:55 PM BST

I do slightly worry that it will prove too complex for small kids. Normally I wouldn't care, but it does need them to keep watching. I assume next weeks won't be quite so difficult, though.

The very idea that most kids won't be able to keep up is of course a condescending assumption from me! :D

Could you stop quoting yourself Matthew, it's a bit weird.