British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 675

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 29 2011, 7:57 PM BST

Actually, I don't think much of the debate on here recently has been too much about the episode itself, more on the whole River/Doc thing in general, and the merits or otherwise of Moffat's approach.

Which surely says more about New Who than the people debating it?

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 10:53 PM BST

Which surely says more about New Who than the people debating it?

Maybe it just means, overall, that people mainly liked the contents of the episode itself, which certainly seems to have been the case, it's just one or two of the long form threads and tropes that irk, annoy, frustrate or dissapoint.

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Just in case you delete this later :D

You cynical writer you! :D

Quote: Ben @ April 29 2011, 7:54 PM BST

Is anyone else looking forward to the fight that'll kick off on here tomorrow rather than the episode itself?

I like a bundle. I might look in.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 29 2011, 5:52 PM BST

I know a bloke who's seen it a hundred times and has the script tattooed on the back of his neck.

Laughing out loud

Oh dear. Watchable but an incoherent mess in terms of storytelling.

That was fun. Love a good puzzle. May have to watch a few more times.

So Riversong is Amy's kid.

Odd.

Quote: Gavin @ April 30 2011, 6:48 PM BST

So Riversong is Amy's kid.

Odd.

No, it never said that. Might be of course. But then, it didn't say conclusively if she was or ever had been pregnant.

Confusing.

If the little girl is Amy's daughter, taken away by The Silence, why can she regenerate? Doesn't make sense at the moment.

Why even bother with last week's cliffhanger if you can't be arsed resolving it properly?

That was a nice little end scene, with the unexpected regeneration. Didn't seem to hang together as satisfyingly as last weeks; not that it didn't make sense, but it didn't feel like it flowed properly. Some great standout bits though, such as the whole childrens home sequence. And it really was bold and confident; Amy much better this year so far, performance-wise. I think it needed to be a bit longer, it was really too stuffed to sort through everything properly!

I'm not sure I can believe that's the end to the whole Silence thing though.

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 6:53 PM BST

Why even bother with last week's cliffhanger if you can't be arsed resolving it properly?

That was certainly weak. Cliffhangers should have a proper resolution, not just shrugged off!

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 30 2011, 6:52 PM BST

Confusing.

If the little girl is Amy's daughter, taken away by The Silence, why can she regenerate? Doesn't make sense at the moment.

Indeed; but is she Amy's daughter at all? And if so, perhaps she's not really her own, if you know what I mean. She could have been implanted in Amy.

Why did they go to that orphanage again? I know they were visiting orphanages but it was impressive they visited the right one first off out of the hundreds of thousands in America. And how did they discover The Silence again? Only they hadn't at the end of last week.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 6:51 PM BST

No, it never said that. Might be of course. But then, it didn't say conclusively if she was or ever had been pregnant.

It obviously is. Hence positive negative readout since Time Lord are in a state of time flux.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2011, 6:57 PM BST

I'm not sure I can believe that's the end to the whole Silence thing though.

I don't think it is. It's a bit of an anti climax if it is so I hope not :)

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 7:00 PM BST

Why did they go to that orphanage again? I know they were visiting orphanages but it was impressive they visited the right one first off out of the hundreds of thousands in America.

Do we know it was the first one? They're obvioulsy not got the time to show them them going to every one!

Quote: chipolata @ April 30 2011, 7:00 PM BST

Why did they go to that orphanage again? I know they were visiting orphanages but it was impressive they visited the right one first off out of the hundreds of thousands in America. And how did they discover The Silence again? Only they hadn't at the end of last week.

But running that logic is an oxymoron we're talking about time travelling so suspension of believe is required a little bit.