British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 9

Quote: sootyj @ April 29 2011, 12:31 PM BST

You could release them into the wilds of critique. Let them roam, free, majestic as nature intended them.

To be mauled by hyaenas.

The academy does seem to be a bit London Centric which is odd if it is the only way into BBC drama nowadays.

I wondered why this thread had suddenly jumped from 2 pages to 9, I guess I should have known! Still, at least it was only a faux argument instead of a real one, I hope Sophie's going to continue posting on here...

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 12:03 PM BST

To be taught by the best people around who know and love their craft for 12 months. I'd kill for it. I don't know how anyone could turn their nose up at it. 'Not their thing', sure. But dismiss altogether? Nah.

Yep, this is why we're all posting on here, and Chris Moyles is already on his 2nd book. ;)

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 12:45 PM BST

The academy does seem to be a bit London Centric

Isn't TV London Centric?

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 6:34 PM BST

Isn't TV London Centric?

Oh gosh no. Isn't BBC news going to Manchesterford? And doesn't all good BBC drama come from Wales?

Quote: KLRiley @ April 29 2011, 7:23 PM BST

Oh gosh no. Isn't BBC news going to Manchesterford? And doesn't all good BBC drama come from Wales?

Torchwood you mean? But the Good news for the academy students is RTD will be teaching them and you don't have to be Welsh!

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 7:48 PM BST

Torchwood you mean? But the Good news for the academy students is RTD will be teaching them and you don't have to be Welsh!

I was actually thinking of Being Human. Torchwood is made by BBC America these days.

BBC Drama is based in Cardiff, and BBC Nature/Science is based in Cardiff.

Radio and Children's will be moving to Manchester.

In that case, it should go back to being London Centric. Most of this new non-London-centric is terrible!

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 10:19 PM BST

In that case, it should go back to being London Centric. Most of this new non-London-centric is terrible!

Qualify that when Sherlock, Doctor Who, Torchwood (up until now) and Being Human, amongst others, are coming from Cardiff. That's us as good as we've ever been.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:23 PM BST

Qualify that when Sherlock, Doctor Who, Torchwood (up until now) and Being Human, amongst others, are coming from Cardiff. That's us as good as we've ever been.

Are you Welsh Sophie? That's as good as you've ever been? Really?

Or do you mean UK Drama in general in which case ... well... just golly!

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:23 PM BST

Not really. I like those shows but they start looking a bit flimsy against Our Friends In The North, Life and Loves of a She Devil, Nice Work, Boys from the Blackstuff, The Lakes, The Singing Detective, Edge of Darkness and Smileys People to name but a few.

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 10:19 PM BST

Most of the Welsh based shows Sophie mentioned are at the very least good. It's quite the bold claim to say that nothing beats them though!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 29 2011, 11:16 PM BST

Most of the Welsh based shows Sophie mentioned are at the very least good.

I was being light-hearted, Stott (hence my use of exclamation marks). And if you read my follow up post you'll see that I concede that those shows are pretty decent, just not as good as some of the shows that BBC Drama used to make.

Quote: Vader @ April 29 2011, 5:28 PM BST

I wondered why this thread had suddenly jumped from 2 pages to 9, I guess I should have known! Still, at least it was only a faux argument instead of a real one, I hope Sophie's going to continue posting on here...

Indeed! I just read this whole thread in one go. I don't know why everyone gave her such a bloody hard time in the first half of the thread, but good on her for sticking around.