British Comedy Guide

What to do with an idea?

I just had an idea for a possible show. I just had it a minute ago so it's probably not very good but anyway, my point.

What do you do with an idea you're not interested in developing yourself? I see the problems wrong with that question. Like, if it's something you're not interested in, is it really a good idea? AND Why not do it yourself, you lazy ****?

My idea is for a topical news/sketch show. I don't have much interest in topical comedy though. But I think it's a good idea, and if someone else made it, I may watch.

Yah get me?

Anyway. What do I do with an idea?

(I'm a bit drunk btw)

You could write a pitch document and send it round producers. Often, Radio in particular, they're looking for a strong format as opposed to a batch of funny sketches.

Cheers, Stott. Sounds like a plan.

Quote: Leevil @ April 29 2011, 5:50 PM BST

I just had an idea for a possible show. I just had it a minute ago so it's probably not very good but anyway, my point.

What do you do with an idea you're not interested in developing yourself? I see the problems wrong with that question. Like, if it's something you're not interested in, is it really a good idea? AND Why not do it yourself, you lazy ****?

My idea is for a topical news/sketch show. I don't have much interest in topical comedy though. But I think it's a good idea, and if someone else made it, I may watch.

Yah get me?

Anyway. What do I do with an idea?

(I'm a bit drunk btw)

BBC Writersroom radio department seem pretty keen on receiving pitches. Good luck.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 29 2011, 5:56 PM BST

You could write a pitch document and send it round producers. Often, Radio in particular, they're looking for a strong format as opposed to a batch of funny sketches.

I'd go along with this. It might even be worth picthing it to a production company with a foot in both TV and radio.

Send an initial e-mail and if they say it's fine then you can take it from there.

Cheers fellas. :)