British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 8

Quote: KLRiley @ April 29 2011, 12:03 PM BST

Thanks for heads up. I will do so as it is so formulaic that by the time you fitted in all the usual suspects - Behind me, head slap, Ab's Caf Pow, Gibbs Coffee, Ducky's rambling, Fornell's possible appearance, the ex wives, Mc Geek doing something dumb but then something probably useful with a computer, Ziva's malapropisms and new ways to kill someone, the interrogation - there's not a whole lot of room left for this week's plot. And its a show which does carry a story arc.

I really got sick of it by about season 6 for that reason. Season 7 had a couple of redeeming episodes, but I think season 8 has really found its feet again. I'm desperate to try and come up with something fresh, sort of..bringing back what I loved about it, which definitely wasn't all their little quirks and archetypes!

I do not think anyone was discouraging Sophie from applying; it would self-evidently be a good use of her time. The debate, such as it was, was really around the seemingly integral role the BBC sees for continuing drama in writer development.

Who's teaching on the academy course nowadays then?

You are Marc? You don't remember?

You really should think about those 7am eye openers...

Quote: Timbo @ April 29 2011, 12:08 PM BST

The debate, such as it was, was really around the seemingly integral role the BBC sees for continuing drama in writer development.

This.

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 12:08 PM BST

Who's teaching on the academy course nowadays then?

John Yorke.

What about writers?

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 12:19 PM BST

What about writers?

RTD and Tony Jordan are apparently confirmed tutors.

Though who knows in actuality. Things like this are never finalised until days before.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 12:05 PM BST

I really got sick of it by about season 6 for that reason. Season 7 had a couple of redeeming episodes, but I think season 8 has really found its feet again. I'm desperate to try and come up with something fresh, sort of..bringing back what I loved about it, which definitely wasn't all their little quirks and archetypes!

Have you seen NCIS: Los Angeles. It's rubbish but fun.

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 12:21 PM BST

Have you seen NCIS: Los Angeles. It's rubbish but fun.

No I haven't! Still need to give it a go.

Quote: Griff @ April 29 2011, 12:23 PM BST

This is one of the competitions that genuinely does open doors, from what I've heard.

What about the Sitcom Trials?

LOL.

Quote: Griff @ April 29 2011, 12:26 PM BST

Now Marc today is a lovely Bank Holiday. Let's have no more talk of such.

What are you going to do with your 37 Sitcom Mission entries you wrote, Griff?

You could release them into the wilds of critique. Let them roam, free, majestic as nature intended them.

No, they should be allowed to die in peace.