British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 7

Quote: Timbo @ April 29 2011, 11:36 AM BST

This is because we are much older than you, and party senile.

Woo hoo! Lets go out get smashed and forget where we live!

At least Micheal Jacob comes on here and illuminates. Where's John Yorke? Drinking champagne down Grouchos I shouldn't wonder!

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 11:39 AM BST

At least Micheal Jacob comes on here and illuminates. Where's John Yorke? Drinking champagne down Grouchos I shouldn't wonder!

Probably intimidated by the prowling internet sharks I wouldn't wonder!

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 11:41 AM BST

Probably intimidated by the prowling internet snarks I wouldn't wonder!

David Attenborough is doing a feature on us, we pack hunt and devour noob fish.

He couldn't handle the velocity of a meme...

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 11:37 AM BST

But I can use words longer than two syllables and everything...

Innit isn't a proper word though Sophie. And you'll need to learn rhyming slang for EE. :)

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 11:45 AM BST

Innit isn't a proper word though Sophie. And you'll need to learn rhyming slang for EE. :)

You...you don't mean...no...NOT THE COMMON-TONGUE!

Which 50s blonde bombshell is a self contained, internet replicating, cultural phenomemen

Memey Van Doren

Yes indeedy young lady
I can offer some insight to the EE writing process here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnm-RW92Kg

You might find it helpful.

Career path...ah, I remember that. Okay leave aside the oft hurled ripost (from anyone) that of course peole round here are nasty and bitter because they have failed to make. Some of us are nasty and bitter because we've had bad days. Some admittedly are just nasty, but I'm sure they'll eventually go home to Norway.
But the actual debate about what to do. I don't have your advantage in being a commissioned writer and I think if you wish to apply for the scheme go for it. I've said so several times in earlier posts. But even if I did have the necessary behind me, I personally would think very long and hard about whether it is the right path for me because I don't watch any of the shows that the academy leads to working. I'm not dissing them as soaps. Its just its a genre that doesn't appeal to me. I get enough gloom, doom and depression and back stabbing in real life to spend my off duty hours watching a fictional version. My personal vice (oh boy, am I setting myself for some random editing here! Do your worst Sooty) is formulaic American cop shows. I love even cliche ridden second of them and if I got the chance to enter a process by which I could write for NCIS, I'd be there.
I'm looking at other possible ways of getting into writing, as are many, many people round here, because if I think of drama my fault is radio. I spend a lot of time at a computer and its less of a time constraint to listen to good writing than stare at a screen and pick holes in the plots.
But I wouldn't dream of saying 'soaps? you don't want to do that'. I wouldn't take that route myself not because of any intellectual sniffiness (but I am reasonably bright) because my heart wouldn't be in it and I know that would be my undoing during an interview if asked about my favourite EE moment. I don't have one. Same goes for the other shows. Not the sort of things I would choose to watch and I wouldn't make a valuable contribution to them.
However, (anyone still reading?) it appears that this is a defined route into writing that the BBC are offering and why not? There seemed to be an informal route that used to exist which was get into children's TV, which you've done, and learn your craft that way. At risk of spilling over from another thread, it was the way that RTD and the Moff started.
It is your choice Sophie. Just because others would decide against it doesn't make it any less valid or any less correct for the individual involved.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 29 2011, 11:52 AM BST

Career path...ah, I remember that. Okay leave aside the oft hurled ripost (from anyone) that of course peole round here are nasty and bitter because they have failed to make. Some of us are nasty and bitter because we've had bad days. Some admittedly are just nasty, but I'm sure they'll eventually go home to Norway.
But the actual debate about what to do. I don't have your advantage in being a commissioned writer and I think if you wish to apply for the scheme go for it. I've said so several times in earlier posts. But even if I did have the necessary behind me, I personally would think very long and hard about whether it is the right path for me because I don't watch any of the shows that the academy leads to working. I'm not dissing them as soaps. Its just its a genre that doesn't appeal to me. I get enough gloom, doom and depression and back stabbing in real life to spend my off duty hours watching a fictional version. My personal vice (oh boy, am I setting myself for some random editing here! Do your worst Sooty) is formulaic American cop shows. I love even cliche ridden second of them and if I got the chance to enter a process by which I could write for NCIS, I'd be there.
I'm looking at other possible ways of getting into writing, as are many, many people round here, because if I think of drama my fault is radio. I spend a lot of time at a computer and its less of a time constraint to listen to good writing than stare at a screen and pick holes in the plots.
But I wouldn't dream of saying 'soaps? you don't want to do that'. I wouldn't take that route myself not because of any intellectual sniffiness (but I am reasonably bright) because my heart wouldn't be in it and I know that would be my undoing during an interview if asked about my favourite EE moment. I don't have one. Same goes for the other shows. Not the sort of things I would choose to watch and I wouldn't make a valuable contribution to them.
However, (anyone still reading?) it appears that this is a defined route into writing that the BBC are offering and why not? There seemed to be an informal route that used to exist which was get into children's TV, which you've done, and learn your craft that way. At risk of spilling over from another thread, it was the way that RTD and the Moff started.
It is your choice Sophie. Just because others would decide against it doesn't make it any less valid or any less correct for the individual involved.

*Bow and exalt*

And there is a way to write for NCIS (kinda).

Look up NBC Writers on the Verge. I'm applying with an NCIS spec this year, it's one of the only US shows (other than West Wing) that I am completely encyclopedic on! :)

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 11:50 AM BST

Yes indeedy young lady
I can offer some insight to the EE writing process here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnm-RW92Kg

You might find it helpful.

:D

The BBC could boost ratings by compiling a buzzword bingo of stock EE phrases for viewers to play along with at home.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 11:56 AM BST

*Bow and exalt*

And there is a way to write for NCIS (kinda).

Look up NBC Writers on the Verge. I'm applying with an NCIS spec this year, it's one of the only US shows (other than West Wing) that I am completely encyclopedic on! :)

Thanks for heads up. I will do so as it is so formulaic that by the time you fitted in all the usual suspects - Behind me, head slap, Ab's Caf Pow, Gibbs Coffee, Ducky's rambling, Fornell's possible appearance, the ex wives, Mc Geek doing something dumb but then something probably useful with a computer, Ziva's malapropisms and new ways to kill someone, the interrogation - there's not a whole lot of room left for this week's plot. And its a show which does carry a story arc.

Quote: Griff @ April 29 2011, 12:02 PM BST

Good luck with your application Sophie.

For reasons which you will already have figured out, I think you can happily ignore most of what is said on here.

Getting onto the BBC Drama Academy would be a fantastic opportunity for anyone who wants to write for TV.

I think the point that everyone's missing is that it's only a year. So what if you have loftier ambitions than to write for Enders or Casualty. Pursue them afterwards once you've got some hours of commissioned prime time TV on your CV, and an agent.

To be taught by the best people around who know and love their craft for 12 months. I'd kill for it. I don't know how anyone could turn their nose up at it. 'Not their thing', sure. But dismiss altogether? Nah.

And Eastie's like Coronation Street have had humerous episodes and storylines the envy of any supposed proper sitcom.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 12:03 PM BST

To be taught by the best people around who know and love their craft for 12 months. I'd kill for it. I don't know how anyone could turn their nose up at it. 'Not their thing', sure. But dismiss altogether? Nah.

Fox and Grapes as Aeasop's would say...