British Comedy Guide

BBC Drama academy Page 4

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:37 AM BST

"So any writer who's not interested in writing for BBC soaps is "sad" and basically arrogant, are they? OK. "

Whistling nnocently

Thats not taking offence just making a point is a sarky way. :D

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:37 AM BST

"So any writer who's not interested in writing for BBC soaps is "sad" and basically arrogant, are they? OK. "

Whistling nnocently

An emoticon is not a substitute for a cogent argument, Sophie. As a credited writer you should know this. ;)

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 10:48 AM BST

Haha - I'm not wrong, I'm just saying things in a sort of subverted way! ;) :P

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 29 2011, 10:48 AM BST

An emoticon is not a substitute for a cogent argument, Sophie. As a credited writer you should know this. ;)

>_< :S Unimpressed Pirate

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:45 AM BST

No but...through the grape-vine, these particular schemes/shows are a little over-stocked at the moment.

Yes, but the scheme has been running a while now; if the approach is the right one the BBC should be realising the benefits.

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 10:48 AM BST

My fault, I should have made it clearer...

*rewrite*

TIM (SARCASTICALLY): So any writer who's not interested in writing for BBC soaps is "sad" and basically arrogant, are they? OK.

Quote: sootyj @ April 29 2011, 10:47 AM BST

If you have a genuinely good script you'll get it read. Problem is you probably don't.

True.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 29 2011, 10:50 AM BST

My fault, I should have made it clearer...

*rewrite*

TIM (SARCASTICALLY): So any writer who's not interested in writing for BBC soaps is "sad" and basically arrogant, are they? OK.

I got the sarcasm thanks. It was the reasoning behind it that flummoxed me.

Everyone knows we'll be successful writers if we follow Steven Moffat on Twitter. So let's just drink tea, watch the Royal Wedding, and wait for our big break ;)

Quote: Timbo @ April 29 2011, 10:50 AM BST

Yes, but the scheme has been running a while now; if the approach is the right one the BBC should be realising the benefits.

As far as they are concerned. They are.

Therein is the problem: "well, we have so many brilliant writers now, do we really need any more?"

I'm grateful that for now, the answer is "yes".

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:45 AM BST

With regards to mavericks though, call me naive or pedantic, but I was under the impression that doors were always 'shut' to mavericks. It's sort of what makes a maverick a maverick - they have to overcome those obstacles, and the more troublesome the obstacles the better.

I am not sure I accept the logic that mavericks do better the more efforts that are made to exclude them.

Quote: Timbo @ April 29 2011, 10:56 AM BST

I am not sure I accept the logic that mavericks do better the more efforts that are made to exclude them.

Well, it isn't really 'logic', seeing as 'maverickism' (clumsy basterdisation of the English language right there)is a 'concept' in itself rather than an actual thing. All I'm saying is the pushers and the workers will find ways for themselves. The more difficult the venture, the more innovative the results.

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:53 AM BST

So let's just drink tea, watch the Royal Wedding, and wait for our big break ;)

Good call, apart from watching the Royal Wedding. I'll put a brew on.

Quote: Timbo @ April 29 2011, 10:59 AM BST

Good call, apart from watching the Royal Wedding. I'll put a brew on.

But you're missing out on William's bald patch!

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 10:58 AM BST

The more difficult the venture, the more innovative the results.

Is this demonstrable on EE for example at the moment?

I thought you were arguing the opposite point? Re give the public what they want in their millions?

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 11:01 AM BST

I thought you were arguing the opposite point? Re give the public what they want in their millions?

We were talking about the people such schemes and shows exclude.

For example online drama/series etc. So many projects I am involved with at the moment either have a massive factor or are based solely online.

Quote: Marc P @ April 29 2011, 11:01 AM BST

Again...I was talking about the people who DON'T go for these sort of shows.

Good luck with the interview, Sophie. Here's hoping they don't ask you too many questions.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 29 2011, 11:04 AM BST

Good luck with the interview, Sophie. Here's hoping they don't ask you too many questions.

What's with the onslaught? I don't understand what I've done...

Quote: Sophie Petzal @ April 29 2011, 11:05 AM BST

What's with the onslaught? I don't understand what I've done...

You made a couple of contentious statements which people have taken issue with, that's all. I wouldn't take any of it personally. :)