British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 673

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 12:08 AM BST

Which is one reason why I don't feel as confident watching a long story arc on Doctor Who as I would with one on say Angel or Smallville.

Smallville has some dreadful fianles:
Doomsday
Zod
Lex Dying
Bizzaro

Actually Most Smallville finales are dreadful lol

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 29 2011, 12:02 AM BST

That fianle was certainly a problem.

I thought the finale was good. Better then Daleks vs Cyberman rubbish and the constant reseting personality of 'Knock Three Times' Arch. Better then Bad wolf inhmo.

Quantum Leap! Now that was a time travel show which could do story arcs. They were so subtle that no one had to pay attention to them. They could just look forward to Sam saying "Oh boy!" and Al bitching about Ziggy.

Quote: Ben @ April 29 2011, 7:51 AM BST

Quantum Leap! Now that was a time travel show which could do story arcs. They were so subtle that no one had to pay attention to them. They could just look forward to Sam saying "Oh boy!" and Al bitching about Ziggy.

Poor Sam Beckett :( Never got home.

Quote: Gavin @ April 29 2011, 7:50 AM BST

Smallville has some dreadful fianles: Doomsday Zod Lex Dying Bizzaro Actually Most Smallville finales are dreadful lol

Nah, they did some good ones. The spaceship arriving at the end of season 4. Clarking going bad due to red kryptonite. Although it was probably a bad example since they all seemed to end on cliffhangers. The ideal series arc is probably Buffy or 24, which ties up the entire series in the last episode, and lets them start afresh the next year.

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 9:07 AM BST

Nah, they did some good ones. The spaceship arriving at the end of season 4. Clarking going bad due to red kryptonite. Although it was probably a bad example since they all seemed to end on cliffhangers. The ideal series arc is probably Buffy or 24, which ties up the entire series in the last episode, and lets them start afresh the next year.

24 is a master craft in season long storylines.

Fringe has a nice balance between strong stand alone episodes and an intriguing long story arc.

Quote: Gavin @ April 29 2011, 8:00 AM BST

Poor Sam Beckett :( Never got home.

It was a very sad ending. I hear a film is planned with Sam and Al keen on making cameos.

Quote: Ben @ April 29 2011, 10:29 AM BST

It was a very sad ending.

It's a while since I've seen it, didn't he visit a coal mine and decide to just carry on leaping?

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 11:07 AM BST

It's a while since I've seen it, didn't he visit a coal mine and decide to just carry on leaping?

I believe so. He was allowed to randomly pick numbers to try to get home and when he failed, the barman told him that he didn't want to go home enough.
Recently been rerun on ITV4. And weirdly doubly in the past. Set in 1999. Made in late 80s.

Quote: Gavin @ April 29 2011, 9:11 AM BST

24 is a master craft in season long pointless storylines that make no sense, go in circles and make no sense, before ending up in some pointless violence, incomprehensible technobabble and increasingly in later seasons extreme right wing paranoia politics.

Harsh but fair Gav.

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 9:07 AM BST

The ideal series arc is probably Buffy or 24, which ties up the entire series in the last episode, and lets them start afresh the next year.

I read that the only reason Buffy they did that, was that they thought they might get cancelled every year, so ended at a place where it could work as a sort of ending if needed, but leave it free to come back if renewed.

I personally like not everything being wrapped up and being picked up later; as long as it is picked up at some point and finsihed properly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 29 2011, 5:11 PM BST

I read that the only reason Buffy they did that, was that they thought they might get cancelled every year

It's called realtpolitik. Makes sense. And to be honest, you don't really want stories dragging interminably on year after year.

F**king hell that was bad. Start the series with a two parter? Game over already.

Moffat can't do this show and should resign. I guess he will be moved on when the ratings come in anyway, because they are going to slide. Hopefully it won't be blamed on Matt Smith.

Quote: chipolata @ April 29 2011, 5:15 PM BST

It's called realtpolitik. Makes sense. And to be honest, you don't really want stories dragging interminably on year after year.

Well it depends entirely on how it's done, doesn't it? Galactica did it brilliantly for several years, untill they fluffed it at the end. So Starbuck was what? A ghost? Angel?! GAH.

Just watched it AGAIN! I am so excited for tomorrow's.